Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/29 10:33:50 UTC

[PROPOSAL] remove travis pull request checks from github

Guys and dolls,

We have been having travis builds for a while now and they seem to generate
more work then help. There are a lot of time-outs, (false positive) and
when a suite passes it is often because all tests where skipped (false
negative). In addition, and this may be just me, I've never been able to
pinpoint a problem based on travis output.

therefore:

I move that we completely disable travis runs on PRs to the cloudstack
project. This will reduce confusion about whether a PR is good and will
reduce the need for willing contributers to force push their branch over
and over.

--
Daan

Re: [PROPOSAL] remove travis pull request checks from github

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 7:05 AM, Rajani Karuturi <ra...@apache.org> wrote:
​+1'ed

and further

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 4:55 AM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
>
> > 2 hours before this message was sent, there was a message about
> > jenkins being unreliable.

​both are not perfect, travis is costing RMs and their minions, and
contributors time!​

> > So I am starting to think that something other than Travis or Jenkins
> > is the problem.

​No, Jenkins and Travis are problems! maintenance wise they are costing
effort we are not putting into it.​

Posted by Rajani Karuturi <ra...@apache.org>.
Jenkins though unstable is right at what it does. That is, if its green,
the build works fine, there are no check style errors, there are no new
PMD/Findbugs errors etc.
On the other hand, Travis green/red doesnt say anything at the moment. It
can be red due to a timeout and sometimes its green because it didnt
actually run any tests. showing green without actually testing anything is
dangerous and hence, I +1 disabling it until we can reliably fix it.

@David, Nope they are not related. Jenkins is unstable for reasons we dont
understand and cant see(not related to code but to the jenkins
environment). triggering a "rebuild" there also doesnt work as it builds on
the base branch instead of applying the PR. The only way to get it running
again is force pushing the PR and each run takes more than 3 hrs. sometimes
it requires as many as 4 or 5 force pushes to see it happy and its very
frustrating. Is it possible for some in ASF infra to look at it?

Travis I think is to do with complex configuration we did. But, right now,
no one has the time to look at it and get it fixed. But, this is something
we can fix and is under our control.

~Rajani

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > On Oct 29, 2015, at 2:28 PM, Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>
> >>
> >> so just don;t look at it ?
> >>
> > ​no-op. it is there telling people that everything worked and if failed
> we
> > get questions about it.​
> >
> > ​and …​
>
> There is a difference between abandoning Travis and not looking at the
> results for 4.6 release.
>
> My gut reaction is to try to understand why Travis is behaving strangely
> and fix it, rather than abandon.
>
> By “not look at it”, I am saying don’t base your review + merge on master
> for 4.6 if you have a good case for it.

​So we have to consider it browse through the result to find once again it
was a false negative or - positive to make a case for ignoring it.
​

>>> and more important costing
> >>
> >> What do you mean by that, I am not understanding.
> >>
> > ​people get questions to force push to make travis happy and we have a
> > policy to not ignore travis without comments on the reason for doing so.
> > ​
>
> The first time I saw Travis was not behaving and saw a comment from
> someone else about it was on my own PR.

​I think you did some​. especially all the requests to force push.

>>> So ... revert at your will.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> On Oct 29, 2015, at 2:28 PM, Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> On Oct 29, 2015, at 2:19 PM, Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sebastien, it is not urgent but costing us time
>>
>> so just don;t look at it ?
>>
> ​no-op. it is there telling people that everything worked and if failed we
> get questions about it.​
>
> ​and …​

There is a difference between abandoning Travis and not looking at the results for 4.6 release.

My gut reaction is to try to understand why Travis is behaving strangely and fix it, rather than abandon.

By “not look at it”, I am saying don’t base your review + merge on master for 4.6 if you have a good case for it.

>>> and more important costing
>>> time of 'innocent' contributors.
>>
>> What do you mean by that, I am not understanding.
>>
> ​people get questions to force push to make travis happy and we have a
> policy to not ignore travis without comments on the reason for doing so.
> ​

The first time I saw Travis was not behaving and saw a comment from someone else about it was on my own PR.

Maybe I skipped some comments on PR but I did not see anything like “Travis is crazy…don’t look at it”.

Basically, if I can use a free service without needed maintenance, I would like to use it.

It’s not like we don’t have issues with Jenkins jobs.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
Sebastien, it is not urgent but costing us time and more important costing
time of 'innocent' contributors. So ... revert at your will.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Miguel Ferreira <MF...@schubergphilis.com>.
I do agree that at the moment Travis is either creating false sense of security when it is green, or a burden for contributors when it is red, because most of the time it goes red for no good reason.

However, I would still find it valuable to have travis run a single command:
mvn clean isntall -P developer,systemvv

That is because, still many people commenting on PRs don’t even do that. In addition this would be faster than the Jenkins build, so it would provide faster feedback.

Cheers,
\ Miguel Ferreira
   mferreira@schubergphilis.com<ma...@schubergphilis.com>

On 29 Oct 2015, at 10:41, Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>> wrote:

+1 it doesn’t help like this.

I look at actual test result people post combined with code reviews. Plus an OK from Jenkins should be more than enough to judge a PR.

Let’s make Jenkins more reliable, that would help as well.

Regards,
Remi

Posted by Remi Bergsma <RB...@schubergphilis.com>.
+1 it doesn’t help like this.