Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2002/05/23 09:27:17 UTC

[vote] image location

We have been discussing the location of project-related images and it
seems there are various opinions + some nuisances inside the current
Cocoon 'crawler'...

There are currently 2 options IMHO:

 * a project-specific image directory
     preferably located at src/documentation/content/images
     matched by the following pattern images/**.{gif|jpg|png}
     read from content/xdocs/images/{1}.{gif|jpg|png}
     + a special matcher for skin-specific images

 * leave the choice to the user
     located at src/documentation/content... (anywhere)
     matched using **.{gif|jpg|png}
     read from content/{1}.ext
     + have that special matcher setup for skin-specific images
       (as it is now the case)

Rationale (and my opinion):

We don't want to put too much constraints on the projects willing to
adopt Forrest, I guess, so I'd say we leave that choice to the user - if
he decides to have a central image directory in
src/documentation/content/images, OK, if he doesn't, fine by me. So my
preference would be option 2, unless Nicola says this will cause
Ant-related problems (dunnow).

Your votes + opinions please:

[  ] have a fixed project-specific image directory defined in the
sitemap
[  ] the location of project-specific images is a user-option

Of course, this doesn't solve the issue Nicola mentioned, we need to
further investigate that.

</Steven>

RE: [vote] image location

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
> From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]

>   [+1  ] the location of project-specific images is a user-option
>
> I like it, since in many cases it can create a transition path:
> 1. user puts it next to the docs
> 2. user or another user needs to use it in another document
> 3. they move it to the central repository
>
> :-D

Pragmatism rules! :-)

</Steven>

Re: [vote] image location

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Steven Noels" <st...@outerthought.org>

> We have been discussing the location of project-related images and it
> seems there are various opinions + some nuisances inside the current
> Cocoon 'crawler'...
>
> There are currently 2 options IMHO:
>
>  * a project-specific image directory
>      preferably located at src/documentation/content/images
>      matched by the following pattern images/**.{gif|jpg|png}
>      read from content/xdocs/images/{1}.{gif|jpg|png}
>      + a special matcher for skin-specific images
>
>  * leave the choice to the user
>      located at src/documentation/content... (anywhere)
>      matched using **.{gif|jpg|png}
>      read from content/{1}.ext
>      + have that special matcher setup for skin-specific images
>        (as it is now the case)
>
> Rationale (and my opinion):
>
> We don't want to put too much constraints on the projects willing to
> adopt Forrest, I guess, so I'd say we leave that choice to the user - if
> he decides to have a central image directory in
> src/documentation/content/images, OK, if he doesn't, fine by me. So my
> preference would be option 2, unless Nicola says this will cause
> Ant-related problems (dunnow).
>
> Your votes + opinions please:
>
> [  ] have a fixed project-specific image directory defined in the
> sitemap
  [+1  ] the location of project-specific images is a user-option

I like it, since in many cases it can create a transition path:
1. user puts it next to the docs
2. user or another user needs to use it in another document
3. they move it to the central repository

:-D

> Of course, this doesn't solve the issue Nicola mentioned, we need to
> further investigate that.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -