Posted to dev@geode.apache.org by Dinesh Akhand <di...@amdocs.com> on 2018/08/22 07:12:22 UTC

need information about network parameter configuration values for geode.

Hi Team,

What will be impact of below parameter if we do't set into geode cluster .

In our cluster we have 8M population with 11 VM and each VM having 5 JVM for holding the data. Means 11*5 = 55 JVM  holder the CUSTOMR region.

Many time face the problem , all JVM comes comes up and joined the locator . in  list member I can see all members.

But Command like :list REGION , assign buckets stuck in gfsh.  Could you suggest what making cause to it.

Currently both parameter we set to 1.

net.ipv4.tcp_slow_start_after_idle

0

By default, TCP starts with a single small segment, gradually increasing it by one each time. This results in unnecessary slowness that impacts the start of every request.

net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies

0

Many default Linux installations use SYN cookies to protect the system against malicious attacks that flood TCP SYN packets. The use of SYN cookies dramatically reduces network bandwidth, and can be triggered by a running Geode cluster. If your Geode cluster is otherwise protected against such attacks, disable SYN cookies to ensure that Geode network throughput is not affected.
NOTE: if SYN floods are an issue and SYN cookies can't be disabled, try the following:
net.ipv4.tcp_max_syn_backlog="16384"
net.ipv4.tcp_synack_retries="1"
net.ipv4.tcp_max_orphans="400000"

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GEODE/Network+Configuration+Best+Practices

Also we set net.ipv4.tcp_abort_on_overflow = 0 .

Thanks,
Dinesh Akhand
This message and the information contained herein is proprietary and confidential and subject to the Amdocs policy statement, you may review at https://www.amdocs.com/about/email-disclaimer <https://www.amdocs.com/about/email-disclaimer>

Amdocs Development Centre India Private Limited having CIN: U72200PN2004PTC0188320 converted into Amdocs Development Centre India LLP (A limited liability partner­ship with LLP Identification Number: AAI-6901 effective 28th Feb 2017)

Re: need information about network parameter configuration values for geode.

Posted by Anthony Baker <ab...@pivotal.io>.
Hi Dinesh,

Can you provide the exact commands you ran?  Does the command hang forever?  Do you have thread dumps from the members during the hang?

Anthony