Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com> on 2014/06/26 12:02:36 UTC

Binary vs. source-level backwards compatibility?

An interesting question just arose in connection with a PR [1]:

If we say that we want to avoid backwards-incompatible changes in
minor versions [2], do we mean *source* level or *binary* level
compatibility?

ap

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/419#issuecomment-47199784
[2] https://wiki.apache.org/jclouds/DeprecationAndBetaPolicy

Re: Binary vs. source-level backwards compatibility?

Posted by Andrew Phillips <ap...@qrmedia.com>.
> https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/403 (which is still open in
> case anyone has time to merge it).

Merged to master. Looks like we need to do a bit of work to backport
this, though :-( [1]

ap

[1] https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/403#issuecomment-47428075

Re: Binary vs. source-level backwards compatibility?

Posted by Ignasi Barrera <ig...@gmail.com>.
Agree too in focusing in source code compatibility.

Posted by Everett Toews <ev...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Chris Custine <ch...@gmail.com>.
Personally I think of this only in the context of source
compatibility.  This particular issue is kind of a rare case I think,
but I think it would be ok to potentially return a value here where
there was none before, especially since it was really borked prior to
https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds/pull/403 (which is still open in
case anyone has time to merge it).

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. I have been trying to send this email for 24 hours and it is
always rejected by Apache mail servers, if several make it at once, I
apologize!
--
Chris Custine