Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ur...@sat.net.pk on 2002/01/12 07:49:46 UTC

two apache's at a time ???

hello !

i have apache 1.3.20 already installed and i want to install apache 1.3.22.

1) Can they both be in my linux box togather.

2) When i install 1.3.22 will it do anything with the previous version ?

3) If i install it at the same path of previous version wat will happend ?

4) If i install it at any different location as that of previous one...
is it fine...???

If Yes...then..../etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start

which one will start with this...?

5) Can it be possible that i install 1.3.22 and it just upgrade the previous version ?

If Yes...how ?

6) Is it good to install 1.3.22 over 1.3.20 or just leave the previous version.

Regards,

_FaiSaL_

Re: two apache's at a time ???

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
urz.faisalm@sat.net.pk wrote:

> hello !

If I can just add a little to Paul Bain's response...

> i have apache 1.3.20 already installed and i want to install apache 1.3.22.
>
> 1) Can they both be in my linux box togather.
>
> 2) When i install 1.3.22 will it do anything with the previous version ?
>
> 3) If i install it at the same path of previous version wat will happend ?
>
> 4) If i install it at any different location as that of previous one...
> is it fine...???
>
> If Yes...then..../etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
>
> which one will start with this...?

Since you ask this question you must have configured apache to start at
boot. The file "/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd" is a shell-script which will
execute the apache binary (usually "/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd"). If
you install your new apache in the default location so that it
overwrites the old apache then you do not need to change anything with
this script and, when you reboot, new apache will start.

If you install new apache in a new location, then this script will not
be aware of the change and will continue to start the old apache.

If you want it to start the new apache in a new location, you need to
edit it so that the shell variable ${HTTPD} points to your new apache
binary.

> 5) Can it be possible that i install 1.3.22 and it just upgrade the previous version ?
>
> If Yes...how ?

Yes, it is possible - but it depends on your existing installation. If
you install apache from the tarball, by default all the apache stuff is
installed in /usr/local/apache. However, most Linux distributions put
apache in a different location. So if you simply install a new apache in
the default location, it will NOT overwrite the old apache.

> 6) Is it good to install 1.3.22 over 1.3.20 or just leave the previous version.

1.3.22 is the current stable version of apache. There is no risk in
installing it as your primary server. There is no need to keep the older
version hanging around (you can always get it from the apache site if
you want it).

If you want to upgrade, my advice would be to:

- copy your existing httpd.conf to somewhere safe, e.g. your user's home
directory,
- seek out and remove all existing apache files from your system,
- download the latest 1.3.22 tar file and unpack it in /tmp,
- configure, make and install it in the default location (i.e.
/usr/local/apache),
- move your saved httpd.conf into /usr/local/apache/conf, so that it
overwrites the default httpd.conf.

Now, the command "/usr/local/apache/bin/httpd" will start the new
version with config file /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf.

If you want apache to start at boot, find the symbolic link "S99apache"
which is probably in /etc/rc3.d (do 'find /etc -name "S*apache"' to
locate it) and change it so that S99apache ->
/usr/local/apache/apachectl. Now, during boot, when you get to run-level
3, init will execute S99apache with the argument "start" and apache will
fire up.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

Re: two apache's at a time ???

Posted by "Paul D. Bain" <pa...@bigfoot.com>.
At Saturday 1/12/02 01:49 AM, you wrote:

>hello !
>
>i have apache 1.3.20 already installed and i want to install apache 1.3.22.
>

>1) Can they both be in my linux box togather.

         Yes, and they can even execute at the same time, provided that
they run on different IP addresses or different ports. You may change the
IP address and port number in the file "httpd.conf" corresponding to each
version.

>2) When i install 1.3.22 will it do anything with the previous version ?

         It will not if you put the new Apache (x.22) in its own directory.
This should be true regardless of whether you are compiling Apache from
source or installing by means of an "RPM" (Red Hat Package Manager).

>3) If i install it at the same path of previous version wat will happend ?

         Let's assume that you compile the new Apache (x.22) from source.
Then the new, compiled executable file httpd will be written to the same
directory as the old (x.20) executable httpd. The new file named "httpd"
will probably _overwrite_ (and _destroy_) the old file of the same name. To
avoid this destruction, simply rename the old file. You could call it, for
example, "httpd.20," and it would _remain_ executable.

>4) If i install it at any different location as that of previous one...
>is it fine...???

         Probably.

>If Yes...then..../etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
>
>which one will start with this...?

         In the example I gave above (where the old executable file is
renamed and the filename "httpd" corresponds to the new version (version
x.22) of Apache), the new version would be started. Of course, you could
start the _old_ version (x.20) at boot time, too, thus:

         /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd.20 start

>5) Can it be possible that i install 1.3.22 and it just upgrade the
>previous version ?
>
>If Yes...how ?

         I do not understand this question.

>6) Is it good to install 1.3.22 over 1.3.20 or just leave the previous
>version.

         If you have concerns about the stability or reliability of the new
version, it may be advisable to keep the old version by means of renaming,
as I noted above.

>Regards,
>
>_FaiSaL_

Good luck!