Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Adam Bender <ab...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/18 18:13:07 UTC

Way to not commit changes to a file?

I want to make local changes to a file, and have them not sent to
the respository when I do a commit.  But I want that file to update
when I do an update.  Is there an easier way to do this than commiting
everything file by file except for the one I don't want to commit?

Thanks,

Adam

Re: Way to not commit changes to a file?

Posted by Nico Kadel-Garcia <nk...@comcast.net>.
Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 5/18/2006 2:13 PM, Adam Bender wrote:
>> I want to make local changes to a file, and have them not sent to
>> the respository when I do a commit.  But I want that file to update
>> when I do an update.  Is there an easier way to do this than
>> commiting everything file by file except for the one I don't want to
>> commit?
>
> You can use wildcards on the command line to choose what to commit.
> It's file-by-file, but not a lot of work for you.
>
> If you're using TortoiseSVN, you can uncheck one file in the list it
> presents to you before committing.
>
> As far as I know there's no way to mark a file to say "don't commit
> this, even if I ask you to".
>
> Duncan Murdoch

Use a symlink to a file in a different project or different relative
location. That lets you segregate the changes of one directory from another.

Re: Way to not commit changes to a file?

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.

Posted by Eric Hanchrow <of...@blarg.net>.

    Adam> I want to make local changes to a file, and have them not
    Adam> sent to the respository when I do a commit.  But I want that
    Adam> file to update when I do an update.  Is there an easier way
    Adam> to do this than commiting everything file by file except for
    Adam> the one I don't want to commit?

This is a FAQ:
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ignore-commit
--
Garbage collection, introduced by Lisp in about 1960, is now
widely considered to be a good thing.