Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Wesley Hall <we...@prociss.co.uk> on 2003/12/16 20:27:23 UTC

Apache-Tomcat connectors... why??

Hello all,

Hopefully I picked a good list to bring this topic up on. There were several
candidates.

I have spent some time today attempting to perform the non-trival task of
configuring communication between the apache web server and the tomcat
servlet engine. This seems to be a fairly complicated process involving
quite a lot of configuration and some degree of black magic.

It occured to me that a simpler approch would be to simply have apache
forward requests at HTTP level to a list of slave servers in the form of
"Cant find this resource!! Can you??". Before apache returns a 404 error it
could consult some form of list and ask other servers on the network (tomcat
for instance ;o)) to attempt to find the resource via HTTP. I dont see a
reason why this would perform particually badly in the most common set up of
apache + tomcat.

Presumably there is a way to configure apache to do this already (if anyone
could point me to the write manaual page I would be grateful), but it doesnt
seem to be offered up a simple solution to a complex problem on the tomcat
integration pages.

My question... why is this solution not mentioned more often given the
number of "how do i configure mod_jk2??" results on google and would their
be any serious disadvantages with such an approch?

Thanks

Wesley Hall

Re: Apache-Tomcat connectors... why??

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq/connectors.html

In a nutshell, tomcat anc apache talk to each via the AJP protocol. The AJP
protocol is like the HTTP protocol but more efficient for various reasons.

An alternative to having apache talk to tomcat via AJP can also be mod_proxy
sounds similar to your situation below.

mod_jk and mod_jk2 are both modules written in C to be used by apache (or
insert server here) jk2 is a rewrite of jk but for the same protocol. So the
configuration of the jk vs jk2 is different. On the tomcat side, it really
doesn't know that the apache instance is using mod_jk or mod_jk2.

-Tim