Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net> on 2003/10/30 01:07:31 UTC

[all] new list for cvs commits? (was Re: commons-configuration)

Great idea, but I'm not sure how much time and effort it would take to
make it happen.    There's nothing like going away for a week and
accumulating 500 cvs commit messages in your inbox.

I believe that codehaus.org does:

${project}-dev  for developers
${project}-user for users
${project}-scm  for commit messages

Re: [all] new list for cvs commits? (was Re: commons-configuration)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:38:55 -0800
Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> If you've got NNTP access, consider reading the groups through a
> newsgroup interface.  For example, the news server at <http://gmane.org>
> mirrors many mailing lists, including this one (news host is
> news.gmane.org, newsgroup is "gmane.comp.jakarta.commons.devel").

Yep :)

Also, you all can subscribe to "Daily Digest" lists of user/dev
of Commons (and Tomcat :-).
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html#Commons
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html#Tomcat
(I modified/updated this page and committed a little while ago :-D

Happy mailing!

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

Re: [all] new list for cvs commits? (was Re: commons-configuration)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
__matthewHawthorne wrote:

> gmane.org is great, that's how I access the apache mailing lists.  A
> good filtering technique is to mark all messages as read, except for
> projects that you're interested in.
>
> I apologize for going off topic, but has anyone experienced delays
> when sending with gmane? My sent messages show up almost instantly on
> commons-dev and commons-user, but on the maven lists it takes 15
> minutes or so, and on the ant lists it sometimes takes up to 12
> hours.  Is there a known reason for the delay?

The most likely reason is that they're going through a moderator.  In
the case of COMMONS-DEV (where I am the moderator) I've got you on the
"allow" list that allows postings through even though you're not
directly subscribed (which I tend to do when unsubscribed folks continue
to send on-topic postings :-).

Craig

Re: [all] new list for cvs commits? (was Re: commons-configuration)

Posted by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net>.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <e....@cross-systems.com>.
Filtering is not the perfect solution. I get a notification every time i
receive a message from commons-dev, most of the time i open my mail
program to discover that actually there is nothing new to read because
it was a filtered cvs commit message. It's quite annoying. And filtering
doesn't save the bandwidth.

Also you cannot filter mail archives,
http://www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org is unreadable
for people not subscribed following the discussions here.

Emmanuel

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@upstate.com>.
I think the amount of traffic will reduce when hivemind moves to it's own
list..  There may be others that should move as well?  Often though it is a
lot of traffic for one component, and then that winds down and moves to
another..  I think making lots of lists will just fragment the commons sense
of community and spirit..

Eric

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <e....@cross-systems.com>.
I think the mailing list guidelines at
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html#Commons could include at least
a warning like some other lists at Jakarta. Something like "Subscribers
to this list will also get notices of every CVS checkin of new or
changed code modules".

Emmanuel

Re: [all] new list for cvs commits? (was Re: commons-configuration)

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 01:43:45 +0100
(Subject: Re: [all] new list for cvs commits? (was Re: commons-configuration))
Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> I agree that contributors should keep an eye on CVS commits, but a
> separate list doesn't prevent them from doing so. That's less confusing
> for newcomers like Hernan, reduce the noise for the non commiter folks
> here just interested in the discussions, and makes the archive more
> readable.
>
> Emmanuel

Yep. This can be simply done.

1. Stop the "-cvs to -dev" forwarding (infrastructure@ and apmail@ issue)
2. Copy the participants addresses of -dev list to -cvs list
   (infrastructure@ and apmail@ issue)
3. Anyone who do not want the cvs commit message can unsub from -cvs.
   (Anyone can see the message trailer information of each mails:
    "how to unsubscribe")
4. http://jakarta.apache.org/site/mail2.html#commons should be
   re-written.... Maybe :-)
5. Someone might announce these (#1 - #4) to commons-dev@jakarta

That's it! :-)

-- Tetsuya. (tetsuya@apache.org)

RE: [all] new list for cvs commits? (was Re: commons-configuration)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I would be -1 on making this change for any Jakarta project that I'm an
> active participant in.  It's more than a "should" ... committers have a
> *responsibility* to review commits from other committers.

+1

	--- Noel

Re: [all] new list for cvs commits? (was Re: commons-configuration)

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Emmanuel Bourg wrote:

> I agree that contributors should keep an eye on CVS commits, but a
> separate list doesn't prevent them from doing so. That's less
> confusing for newcomers like Hernan, reduce the noise for the non
> commiter folks here just interested in the discussions, and makes the
> archive more readable.

I would be -1 on making this change for any Jakarta project that I'm an
active participant in.  It's more than a "should" ... committers have a
*responsibility* to review commits from other committers.  The "should"
is for non-committers that want to know what is going on, or see if
their bugfix has been incorporated in the nightly builds, or ...

Other notes:

* Filtering the CVS commits (either all of them or by package) is a trivial
  exercise, because the subject line includes everythng you need.

* Discussions that are not intertwined with the CVS commits are
  welcome on the COMMONS-USER maililng list.

> Emmanuel

Craig

Re: [all] new list for cvs commits? (was Re: commons-configuration)

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <e....@cross-systems.com>.

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
--- Todd Jonker <tv...@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 10/29/03 7:19 PM, grahamdavid1980@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Simple email filtering rules help
> > to get rid of messages you don't want to see.
>
> This recommendation doesn't help those of us who have to use lame-ass
> Web
> mail interfaces during the workday.

I've managed to make my free Yahoo! account filter messages into different
folders.

> It's incredibly tedious to have to
> page
> and delete the commit messages that flow through every day.

This is a result of so many projects using commons-dev, not the commit
messages.  As other have pointed out, the commits *must* be followed by
the project team on the dev list.  Dev list discussions are often prompted
by replies to commit messages.  Separating the commits to some forgotten
side list is the wrong approach.

David

Posted by Todd Jonker <tv...@pobox.com>.
On 10/29/03 7:19 PM, grahamdavid1980@yahoo.com wrote:

> Simple email filtering rules help
> to get rid of messages you don't want to see.

This recommendation doesn't help those of us who have to use lame-ass Web
mail interfaces during the workday.  It's incredibly tedious to have to page
and delete the commit messages that flow through every day.

As someone who is a non-committer but likes to keep up with commons-dev,
such a change would make it MUCH easier for me to follow the discussion
threads.  This in turn makes it more likely that I'll actually implement
changes for submission to the projects.  As it is, I've been very close to

Posted by David Graham <gr...@yahoo.com>.
It makes sense for the commit messages to be delivered to the dev list
because they directly relate to the development of the project.  The
problem with commons-dev is that many different projects use it so the
volume is higher than other dev lists.  Simple email filtering rules help