Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jaroslaw Zgoda <ja...@generali.pl> on 2004/05/11 15:04:45 UTC

Problem connecting to DAV based SVN with SVN client

I try to setup SVN server using Apache 2.0.49 and got into some trouble. I
followed strictly installation guidelines and now my server is running
fine, I can access repository with various web browsers but not with SVN
client.

D:\UserData\Projects>svn checkout http://cpqenl866_200/svn/seitemeister
svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/seitemeister'
svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/seitemeister': timed out waiting for server
(http://cpqenl866_200)

Server machine is Windows 2000 SP4, Apache 2.0.49 with basic
authentication, Subversion 1.0.2

Where should I start investigating this problem?

--
Jarek Zgoda
Generali Finance Sp. z o. o.

Re: Problem connecting to DAV based SVN with SVN client

Posted by Jacob Smullyan <sm...@smullyan.org>.
On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 05:04:45PM +0200, Jaroslaw Zgoda wrote:
> I try to setup SVN server using Apache 2.0.49 and got into some trouble. I
> followed strictly installation guidelines and now my server is running
> fine, I can access repository with various web browsers but not with SVN
> client.
>
> D:\UserData\Projects>svn checkout http://cpqenl866_200/svn/seitemeister
> svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/seitemeister'
> svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/seitemeister': timed out waiting for server
> (http://cpqenl866_200)

I've recently had a quasi-related problem, and perhaps the two
problems can shed light on each other (unless, as the timeout above
suggests, you have a more fundamental networking problem).  I set up
DAV access to a new and empty repository; the top of the repository
was made available at /whatever/ and "DAV svn" and the rest was
declared for that Location.  I then tried to import projects as
suggested in the manual like so:

  svn import . http://myhostname/whatever/

I then got an error like "PROPFIND request failed on /whatever".
Of course, DAV isn't on in /.

I got around this by doing a file:// import, but what did I do
wrong/sub-optimally, if anything?  Is this a common newbie gotcha?  It
sure felt like one when I was getting gotten :).

Cheers,

Jacob Smullyan

Re: Problem connecting to DAV based SVN with SVN client

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 10:24, Stefan Binder wrote:
> Jaroslaw Zgoda schrieb:
>
> >I try to setup SVN server using Apache 2.0.49 and got into some trouble. I
> >followed strictly installation guidelines and now my server is running
> >fine, I can access repository with various web browsers but not with SVN
> >client.
> >
> >D:\UserData\Projects>svn checkout http://cpqenl866_200/svn/seitemeister
> >svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/seitemeister'
> >svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/seitemeister': timed out waiting for server
> >(http://cpqenl866_200)
> >
> >Server machine is Windows 2000 SP4, Apache 2.0.49 with basic
> >authentication, Subversion 1.0.2
> >
> >Where should I start investigating this problem?
> >

> If i read the Manual right, you need a svnserve.exe process on your
> Server, if you want to use the svn commandline client. Just start an
> instance of svnserve.exe (with -d parameter for deamon mode) on the
> Repository-Server. You need this server is for "direct" access (or with
> TortoiseSVN). Apache is only for WebDAV Clients.

Huh?  He *is* using http:// in his 'svn checkout' command.

If you can browse the repository using an ordinary web browser (which
sends GET requests), but can't do a PROPFIND to the server, it's
possible that you have a web proxy blocking webdav methods.  See the FAQ
about that.

Re: Problem connecting to DAV based SVN with SVN client

Posted by Stefan Binder <st...@gmx.at>.
Jaroslaw Zgoda schrieb:

>I try to setup SVN server using Apache 2.0.49 and got into some trouble. I
>followed strictly installation guidelines and now my server is running
>fine, I can access repository with various web browsers but not with SVN
>client.
>
>D:\UserData\Projects>svn checkout http://cpqenl866_200/svn/seitemeister
>svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn/seitemeister'
>svn: PROPFIND of '/svn/seitemeister': timed out waiting for server
>(http://cpqenl866_200)
>
>Server machine is Windows 2000 SP4, Apache 2.0.49 with basic
>authentication, Subversion 1.0.2
>
>Where should I start investigating this problem?

If i read the Manual right, you need a svnserve.exe process on your
Server, if you want to use the svn commandline client. Just start an
instance of svnserve.exe (with -d parameter for deamon mode) on the
Repository-Server. You need this server is for "direct" access (or with
TortoiseSVN). Apache is only for WebDAV Clients.

In the SVN-Book its covered in detail (access permissions ans so on..)

HTH
Stefan Binder