Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Dave Oxley <da...@workplace-systems.plc.uk> on 2003/07/24 19:32:33 UTC

Very urgent security bug found

Urgent bug found in 0.25:
I'm running SVN 0.25 with Apache 2.0.47 on RedHat Linux 8.0.

My httpd.conf file contains:

    <Location /repos>
        DAV svn
        SVNPath /var/repos
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Developer access required"
        AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/passwords
        AuthGroupFile /usr/local/apache/conf/groups
        require group Development
    </Location>

Using a web browser I am prompted for user name and password when
accessing the url:
https://server.com/repos
but I am not prompted for a user name and password when accessing the url:
https://server.com/repos/Project/trunk/SomeFile.xml

Basically, the security is bypassed when trying to view files in the
repository.

Dave.

Re: Very urgent security bug found

Posted by Dave Oxley <da...@workplace-systems.plc.uk>.
Ok. Sorry about the panic. Feeling pretty stupid now!!! Just found this
further down my httpd.conf:
    <Location /repos-xml/Project/tags>
        <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
            AuthType Basic
            AuthName "Read-only tags."
            AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/passwords
            AuthGroupFile /usr/local/apache/conf/groups
            Require user Dave
        </LimitExcept>
    </Location>

and it should obviously have been:
    <Location /repos-xml/Project/tags>
        AuthType Basic
        AuthName "Developer access required"
        AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/passwords
        AuthGroupFile /usr/local/apache/conf/groups
        require group Development
        <LimitExcept GET PROPFIND OPTIONS REPORT>
            AuthType Basic
            AuthName "Read-only tags."
            AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache/conf/passwords
            AuthGroupFile /usr/local/apache/conf/groups
            Require user Dave
        </LimitExcept>
    </Location>

Sorry.