Posted to log4cxx-user@logging.apache.org by "Keshavan, Rango" <ra...@fmr.com> on 2006/02/14 17:44:27 UTC

How to use an environment variable

I want my log4j.properties to use an environment variable which
specifies the base home directory, so my log directory will be off that.
Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks!

----------
Rango Keshavan

617 563 2435

Re: How to use an environment variable

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.
On Feb 14, 2006, at 10:44 AM, Keshavan, Rango wrote:

> I want my log4j.properties to use an environment variable which
> specifies the base home directory, so my log directory will be off
> that.  Does anyone know how to do this?
>
> Thanks!

My recollection is that log4cxx exposes all environment variables in
the same way that LOG4J exposes JVM system properties.   Which means
that you would just use ${HOME}/foo.log to create a foo.log directory
in the user's home directory.  Also, I believe that the current SVN
HEAD also exposes the equivalent of some of the built-in Java
properties so you could also do ${java.io.tmpdir}/foo.txt or $
{user.home}/foo.txt.