Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2004/07/19 01:36:28 UTC

Re: New Maven repository

Carlos,

A "snapshot" in Maven terms is any release symlinked to create a
reference to the "most current version" (so in Maven, a snapshot can be
an official release or a dated build).

IE:
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/commons-collections/jars/commons-collections-3.1.jar
is symlinked to:
http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/commons-collections/jars/commons-collections-SNAPSHOT.jar

A "dated build" in Maven terms is an "unofficial release" of an artifact
with the date and time in its version string stored in the repository.
It to can be linked to the "snapshot" symlink. The dated build is close
to the idea of a nightly build in that the nightly is an automated
version of a daily build.

IE:
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/commons-math/jars/commons-math-20040313.204326.jar
is symlinked to:
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/commons-math/jars/commons-math-SNAPSHOT.jar

So the big issue here is with "dated builds" not with "snapshots".

One of the goals in only placing official releases within the Apache
Repository (and conversely into Ibiblio) is to work to get only the most
"stable" Apache code out into the repository. Dated Builds currently
consider unstable, so we need to consider them as content that Apache
won't want to release to its mirrors or to the public.

So, the idea of having dated builds get out to ibiblio is controlled by
this restriction on www.apache.org/dist. It was my intention when
placing the repository within dist to maintain this restriction.

My question for you is the following.

How close is your project to releasing an official release? By official,
I mean one you feel is stable enough to get a release version number?

If you feel this is possible, then you can release it into
dist/java-repository with a versioned release number. Otherwise, you can
release dated builds into cvs.apache.org/repository until you are more
confident in your codebase to do a major release.

The reasoning behind this is not to "stop projects from releasing" but
to assure that when a project does do a release, that what is released
is worthy of public consumption. The secondary effect of this effort as
well, is to get you used to incremental release versioning at the most
stable point in the development cycle.

This idea somewhat conflicts with the Maven strategy which maintains
that interim builds always get released and the snapshot is not
necessarily of the most stable point in the projects development cycle.
But, then again, most Mavenized projects do not build dependencies on
the bleeding edge snapshot when developing, usually they depend on a
more stable release version.

So, either way, getting a stable version into the public repositories
will be more beneficial to you than having daily builds get up to
Ibiblio. GROK?

-Mark Diggory

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

RE: New Maven repository

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
Hi Mark,

You're right, when I said snapshots I meant dated builds (snapshots over the
time). Actually snapshots are no longer a symlink, just a copy.

As you have read in the Maven dev list, the opinion of Jason is that each
project members should be able to decide if they want their dated builds
mirrored or not, and this is not possible now. It's not a question of a
particular project, it's a general question.

Regards

Carlos Sanchez
A Coruña, Spain

Oness Project