Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by "Hampel, Michael" <mi...@siemens.com> on 2007/09/25 09:25:51 UTC

maven-bundle-plugin

Hello again,

after today's update of the maven-bundle-plugin the obr plugin is run
automatically within
the install phase.
I have not added the obr-plugin to my pom - so who is triggering the
execution and can I
stop it somehow?

Thanx in advance for any help,

Michael

Re: AW: maven-bundle-plugin

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 25/09/2007, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:

> Ultimately, I agree with Michael that it seems that you would somehow
> want to specifically say whether you want to do this as opposed to
> having it happen automatically.

certainly that's my own preference, as it doesn't cause any surprises!

but I would like to try to accommodate simple OBR installation if
possible...

However, I don't have the time to
> actually play with it right now to see exactly what it is doing...

no worries, I'm happy digging around in maven code ;)

-> richard

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: AW: maven-bundle-plugin

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Ultimately, I agree with Michael that it seems that you would somehow
want to specifically say whether you want to do this as opposed to
having it happen automatically. However, I don't have the time to

Re: maven-bundle-plugin

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 25/09/2007, Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it> wrote:

> Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> >

> > in fact the main Felix build just failed because of the new bundleplugin
> > snapshot!
> > for some reason Maven fetches the bundleplugin from the apache snapshots
> > repo,
> > but then only looks for the OBR plugin on central (never looks at the
> other
> > repo)
> >
> > I've deployed a new snapshot without the FELIX-370 changes to get the
> build
> > working again while I investigate what's going on with Maven.
>
> Do you have any clue on how to fix it?

yes - I have an idea, but I'm currently digging into maven internals to
verify

the problem at the moment is that maven looks at the combined build
life-cycle,
sees that the maven-obr-plugin is used and jumps straight to the central
repo to
look for it

the solution may involve a more programmatic approach to adding the goals
- that way we have control if for some reason maven can't find the obr
plugin

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: maven-bundle-plugin

Posted by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it>.

Re: maven-bundle-plugin

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.
On 25/09/2007, Hampel, Michael <mi...@siemens.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Please don't get me wrong - I think the obr plugin provides valuable
> functionality and
> makes provisioning now a lot easier.
> I only didn't see the reason why the goals had to be run within the
> maven-bundle-plugin:bundle goal - I only wanted more configuration
> freedom:)
> (I am sure the obr plugin will not cause any errors but you also know
> Maven...)

unfortunately all too well ;)

--
Cheers, Stuart

AW: maven-bundle-plugin

Posted by "Hampel, Michael" <mi...@siemens.com>.
Hello,

--
Cheers, Stuart

Re: maven-bundle-plugin

Posted by Stefano Lenzi <ki...@interfree.it>.
Stuart McCulloch wrote:
> On 25/09/2007, Hampel, Michael <mi...@siemens.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Stuart,
>>
>> Thank you for your answer.
>> I guess there are good reasons why to run the goal(s) - ("repository",
>> "deployment") automatically?
>> What speaks against adding the maven-obr-plugin in the pom explicitly so I
>> have the possibility to
>> control what I am executing?
>

> updating the OBR metadata automatically means you're able to take advantage
> of other
> OBR tooling provided by Felix, which can help when deploying your
> application bundles.
> The OBR goals shouldn't add much overhead or cause any errors - if they do
> let us know!
>
> Stefano / Clement - can you give more background to the OBR integration
> story?

By default maven-obr-plugin was called during the "install" with the
"repository" goal and during the "deploy" phase with the "deployment"
are goal.

Also the default configuration of the maven-obr-plugin is that it skips
the execution of the "deployment" goal during the deploy phase and
execute the "repository" goal during the install phase.

IMO, invoking an plugin which just skips do not introduce a tangible
overhead.

Re: maven-bundle-plugin

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <st...@jayway.net>.

--