Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by John Munsch <jo...@hotmail.com> on 2002/06/10 17:51:30 UTC

Running the examples

I needed Velocity for a new project (I had used it once briefly more than a
year ago) and I started as I usually do by trying to run the examples.

The existing .bat files will not work on Windows 2000 because they can't
create a proper path containing all the files in build/lib (and I'm not
really sure that is what you want anyway). So I thought it might be better
to just dump the .sh and .bat files in the various example directories and
just go with an ant file to run most of the examples. The provided file will
run app_example1, app_example2, event_example, logger_example, and
xmlapp_example (if you put xerces.jar from jdom into your build/lib
directory, it seems to be missing). Running the examples this way is
considerably cleaner than what is there now, easier to maintain, and it will
work cross-platform just like the build scripts do.

Note: This assumes you've already done "ant examples" from the build
directory in order to get everything built. Just cut out the following and
put it in the root directory of the project and type "ant -buildfile
examples.xml" to get it to run all five examples.

John Munsch
http://www.johnmunsch.com

==================== >8 cut here - examples.xml ====================
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<project name="examples" basedir="." default="all">
    <target name="app_example1" description="This simple example shows how
to use the Velocity Template Engine
in a standalone program.">
        <java classname="Example" dir="./examples/app_example1" fork="true">
            <arg value="Example.vm"/>
            <classpath>
                <pathelement location="./bin/velocity-dep-1.3-rc1.jar" />
                <pathelement location="./examples/app_example1" />
            </classpath>
        </java>
    </target>

    <target name="app_example2" description="Another simple example showing
how to use Velocity in a standalone
program.">
        <java classname="Example2" dir="./examples/app_example2"
fork="true">
            <classpath>
                <pathelement location="./bin/velocity-dep-1.3-rc1.jar" />
                <pathelement location="./examples/app_example2" />
            </classpath>
        </java>
    </target>

    <target name="event_example" description="This is a more advanced
example, and shows how to use the event handling
features of Velocity.">
        <java classname="EventExample" dir="./examples/event_example"
fork="true">
            <classpath>
                <pathelement location="./bin/velocity-dep-1.3-rc1.jar" />
                <pathelement location="./examples/event_example" />
            </classpath>
        </java>
    </target>

    <target name="logger_example" description="This is a toy program to show
how any class can be used as a logging
facility with Velocity.">
        <java classname="LoggerExample" dir="./examples/logger_example"
fork="true">
            <classpath>
                <pathelement location="./bin/velocity-dep-1.3-rc1.jar" />
                <pathelement location="./examples/logger_example" />
            </classpath>
        </java>
    </target>

    <target name="xmlapp_example" description="This is simple example that
demonstrates direct access of XML data via
Velocity templates, as well as Velocimacro recursion.">
        <java classname="XMLTest" dir="./examples/xmlapp_example"
fork="true">
            <arg value="xml.vm"/>
            <classpath>
                <pathelement location="./bin/velocity-dep-1.3-rc1.jar" />
                <pathelement location="./examples/xmlapp_example" />
                <pathelement location="./build/lib/jdom-b7.jar" />
                <pathelement location="./build/lib/xerces.jar" />
            </classpath>
        </java>
    </target>

    <target name="all"
depends="app_example1,app_example2,event_example,logger_example,xmlapp_example"
/>
</project>

Re: Running the examples

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 6/10/02 11:51 AM, "John Munsch" <jo...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I needed Velocity for a new project (I had used it once briefly more than a
> year ago) and I started as I usually do by trying to run the examples.
>
> The existing .bat files will not work on Windows 2000 because they can't
> create a proper path containing all the files in build/lib (and I'm not
> really sure that is what you want anyway). So I thought it might be better
> to just dump the .sh and .bat files in the various example directories and
> just go with an ant file to run most of the examples. The provided file will
> run app_example1, app_example2, event_example, logger_example, and
> xmlapp_example (if you put xerces.jar from jdom into your build/lib
> directory, it seems to be missing). Running the examples this way is
> considerably cleaner than what is there now, easier to maintain, and it will
> work cross-platform just like the build scripts do.
>
> Note: This assumes you've already done "ant examples" from the build
> directory in order to get everything built. Just cut out the following and
> put it in the root directory of the project and type "ant -buildfile
> examples.xml" to get it to run all five examples.

Thanks.  Not a bad idea.  We left the .bat files there to make it simple.

I thought we had it fixed - we had an external .bat file that would assemble
the classpath so it did work, but I'll have to check if its still there.

Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.
geirm@adeptra.com
+1-203-247-1713