Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Srinath Perera <he...@cse.mrt.ac.lk> on 2004/06/16 13:17:16 UTC

Where can I learn about GBeans

Hi All;

I want to learn about GBeans used in geronimo .. from wiki I found out that
it is extension of MBeans ..but where can I find more info ..
if the place is code where should I look at the code
Thanks

Srinath

Re: Where can I learn about GBeans

Posted by Srinath Perera <he...@cse.mrt.ac.lk>.
Thanks everybody for the idea's

> I would suggest starting there, and then post a list of questions to the
> list or to the wiki - we need to get this documented and I think that
> may be the catalyst that makes it happen.

yap I will try to make my learning helpful to others  as well :)

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@coredevelopers.net>.
The best example that I know of is org.openejb.server.ServiceDaemon and
org.openejb.server.EjbServer.  BTW these classes are just a quick hack
David Blevins and I put in and are scheduled to be removed, but they
are great examples of a simple GBean.

Also Alan is correct, if you are getting into JMX stuff, you have
either gone to far, or there is a bug in the GBEan code.

-dain

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <je...@coredevelopers.net>.

Posted by Eric Le Goff <er...@gicm.fr>.
Philip Mark Donaghy wrote:

>Familiarize yourself with JMX. A good book to read
>would be Java Management Extensions by J. Steven Perry
>published by O'Reilly.

FWIW
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/javamngext/

Eric

Re: Where can I learn about GBeans

Posted by "Brendan W.McAdams" <bm...@sluggy.com>.
> Familiarize yourself with JMX. A good book to read
> would be Java Management Extensions by J. Steven Perry
> published by O'Reilly.

ugh. I realise I'm being contradictory again, but...

Honestly, I found the O'Reilly JMX book to be horrid.  It was
"MSQL/MySQL" all over again.

If I can throw in my 2 cents, I found Manning's "JMX In Action"
[Sullins & Whipple] to be a much better book, with good hands on work
and coverage through it.

It's probably a matter of opinion and learning style, but take a look
at both of them [I actually bought both, Amazon had a 'buy both and
save $x%" deal].

When I had to learn GBeans to convert the OpenEJB containers to the new
GBean system earlier this year, I worked off the Jetty bindings that
Jeremy Boynes had written.  They were fairly simple and can probably
give you a quick run down.

As always, many of the developers, esp. Jeremy Boynes, Dain Sundstrom
and Alan Cabrera, can be good resources if you can manage to pin them
in a corner for a bit to ask some questions.

> I good discussion about the many source files that
> contain the name GBean would help many people
> understand the GBean.

As noted by Philip, reviewing existing code is good too.

-Brendan

Re: Where can I learn about GBeans

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <pm...@yahoo.fr>.
I would recommend looking at
modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/jmx/GBeanMBean.java

Familiarize yourself with JMX. A good book to read
would be Java Management Extensions by J. Steven Perry
published by O'Reilly.

I good discussion about the many source files that
contain the name GBean would help many people
understand the GBean.

[phil@dc027 incubator-geronimo]$ find -name
"*GBean*java"
./modules/connector/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/connector/deployment/RARGBeanAdapter.java
./modules/deployment/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/deployment/service/GBeanAdapter.java
./modules/deployment/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/deployment/service/GBeanBuilder.java
./modules/deployment/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/deployment/service/GBeanDefault.java
./modules/deployment/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/deployment/service/GBeanHelper.java
./modules/deployment/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/deployment/service/ServiceGBeanAdapter.java
./modules/deployment/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/deployment/MockGBean.java
./modules/jetty/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/jetty/deployment/JettyGBeanAdapter.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/jmx/GBeanMBeanLifecycleController.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/jmx/GBeanMBean.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/jmx/GBeanMBeanAttribute.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/jmx/GBeanMBeanOperation.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/jmx/GBeanMBeanReference.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/jmx/GBeanInvoker.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/jmx/JMXGBeanInvoker.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/DynamicGBean.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/DynamicGBeanDelegate.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/GBeanInfo.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/GBeanInfoFactory.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/GBeanLifecycle.java
./modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/GBeanLifecycleController.java
./modules/kernel/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/jmx/GBeanMBeanAttributeTest.java
./modules/kernel/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/GBeanInfoFactoryTest.java
./modules/kernel/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/gbean/GBeanInfoTest.java
./modules/kernel/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/kernel/GBeanTest.java
./modules/kernel/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/kernel/MockDynamicGBean.java
./modules/kernel/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/kernel/MockGBean.java
./modules/kernel/src/test/org/apache/geronimo/kernel/config/MyGBean.java
./sandbox/messaging/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/messaging/GBeanBaseEndPoint.java

Seems to me the test files would be a good place to
start.

Thanks for the idea,

Phil