Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Josh Konkol <jk...@guidemail.com> on 2003/02/27 14:03:01 UTC

[users@httpd] Translating Query Strings to Http Headers with rewrite

My guess is I need to use mod_rewrite but I'm not sure.  I'm using apache
version 1.3.20.  Here's what I need to do.

Short Desc:  Using mod_rewrite and mod_proxy I need to take incoming
requests which will have Query strings, (i.e. www.mydomain.com/index.htm?
user=joe) and turn the Query string user=joe into an HTTP header user=joe
before passing it onto the final web server that will process the request.

Long Desc:  We have WebSphere portal serving pages to external users.  We
cannot pass http header variables through the portlets on the portal server
but we CAN pass Query Strings.  My thought is to have a reverse proxy
between the internal web sites and the portal server.  When a request comes
into the portal it is passed onto the reverse proxy which turns the query
string into an HTTP header.  The internal web sites are looking for
specific HTTP header variables proving the user is authenticated.

Thanks for any help !!

Josh

[users@httpd] Re: Translating Query Strings to Http Headers with rewrite

Posted by Josh Konkol <sa...@guidemail.com>.
Anyone have any ideas on this ?  I realize it's probably not a standard
question, just knowing if what I'm asking is realistic would be great!

Thanks in advance for any help you experts can pass on!!

Josh

Josh Konkol <jk...@guidemail.com> wrote in