Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu> on 2006/05/24 05:15:51 UTC

64-bit Red Hat AMD build failing

I'm testing an rpmbuild of a 3.0 nightly and getting a weird error as a
result of the configure process.

The compile error happens because HAVE_CONFIG_H isn't being defined to the
compiler, which results in config.h not being included into the
PlatformUtils.cpp file. The problem seems to be that HAVE_CONFIG_H is
included in the DEFS definition in the root Makefile, but not in
src/Makefile, and that's the one that's getting fed to the compile command.

I think the problem is that DEFS is being defined in src/Makefile.am, and
it's blocking the value that configure would otherwise create.

I can't imagine why this would be specific to this box, but it isn't
specific to rpmbuild. I get the same Makefiles from a direct call to
configure. And I can't see how this could be building anywhere on a
config.h-driven platform. Maybe I just caught a bad snapshot?

I can supply config.log or whatever else would be helpful.

-- Scott

RE: 64-bit Red Hat AMD build failing

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.
> Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to Scott's earlier message. Is
> the issue that we shouldn't be installing the libxerces.la file at
> all? Any arguments for or against?

My issue was only that it either needed to be packaged or not installed. In
my own projects I haven't been installing them, and that seems to be pretty
common.

Posted by James Berry <jb...@apache.org>.
On May 26, 2006, at 5:41 AM, Alberto Massari wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>
> At 12:27 AM 5/24/2006 -0400, Scott Cantor wrote:
>> > Sorry about that. Fixed now.
>>
>> No problem...unrelated question...is the libtool archive
>> (libxerces.la)
>> intended to be installed and/or packaged? rpmbuild complains
>> because make
>> install is moving it into lib64 but it's not listed in the %files
>> section in
>> the spec file.
>>
>> My projects are mostly yanking the .la file in a post-install-hook
>> so the
>> specfiles ignore them, but I'm temporarily just adding a rm -f to
>> the spec
>> file to get it building so I can verify if the 64 bit packaging
>> works.
>
> I have committed a new version of the spec file that removes
> the .la file from the lib directory.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to Scott's earlier message. Is
the issue that we shouldn't be installing the libxerces.la file at
all? Any arguments for or against?

James.

Posted by Alberto Massari <am...@datadirect.com>.
Hi Scott,

Posted by Scott Cantor <ca...@osu.edu>.

Posted by James Berry <jb...@apache.org>.
On May 23, 2006, at 8:18 PM, Scott Cantor wrote:

>> I think the problem is that DEFS is being defined in src/
>> Makefile.am, and
>> it's blocking the value that configure would otherwise create.
>>
>> I can't imagine why this would be specific to this box, but it isn't
>> specific to rpmbuild. I get the same Makefiles from a direct call to
>> configure. And I can't see how this could be building anywhere on a
>> config.h-driven platform. Maybe I just caught a bad snapshot?
>
> Should have checked first...I did indeed. There's a src/Makefile.am
> checkin
> that broke the DEFS line. Used to be += and now it's just =
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/xerces/c/trunk/src/Makefile.am?
> r1=405840&r2=408
> 962
>
> Not sure what the goal was, but don't do that. ;-)

Scott,

Sorry about that. Fixed now.

-jdb

RE: 64-bit Red Hat AMD build failing