Posted to user@knox.apache.org by "McParland, John" <jo...@cgi.com> on 2016/11/01 08:36:24 UTC

Deploying/Running Knox in HDP 2.4 Sandbox

Hi all,

I'm attempting to run Knox (built from master) in an Hortonworks Data Platform (HDP) 2.4 Sandbox hosted on Azure.

I've followed both the Knox Users Guide [1] and the Hortonworks instructions [2] but when I attempt to curl HDFS via Knox, I get the following when I curl the webhdfs LISTSTATUS command.

$ curl -i -k -u guest:guest-password -X GET 'https://localhost:8443/gateway/sandbox/webhdfs/v1/?op=LISTSTATUS'

HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2016 08:23:58 GMT
Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=1q3kw9423ahmk4fwy2mvmxy2c;Path=/gateway/sandbox;Secure;HttpOnly
Set-Cookie: rememberMe=deleteMe; Path=/gateway/sandbox; Max-Age=0; Expires=Mon, 31-Oct-2016 08:23:59 GMT
Connection: close
Server: Jetty(9.2.15.v20160210)

<head>
<title>Error 500 Server Error</title>
</head>

Is there additional configuration I need?

[1] https://knox.apache.org/books/knox-0-9-1/user-guide.html
[2] https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/HDP2/HDP-2.4.0/bk_upgrading_hdp_manually/content/access_subtab_2_3.html

Thanks,

John McParland MIET CEng | System Architect, ODSC
Health Local and Scotland | CGI
CGI Ltd (UK)
Second Floor, Inovo Building, 121 George St, Glasgow, UK, G1 1RD
M: +44 7920 183 019
john.mcparland@cgi.com | www.cgi-group.co.uk

CGI IT UK Limited. A CGI Group Inc. Company
Registered Office: 250 Brook Drive, Green Park, Reading RG2 6UA,
United Kingdom. Registered in England & Wales - Number 947968

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Proprietary/Confidential Information belonging to CGI Group Inc. and its affiliates may be contained in this message. If you are not a recipient indicated or intended in this message (or responsible for delivery of this message to such person), or you think for any reason that this message may have been addressed to you in error, you may not use or copy or deliver this message to anyone else. In such case, you should destroy this message and are asked to notify the sender by reply e-mail.

RE: Deploying/Running Knox in HDP 2.4 Sandbox

Posted by "McParland, John" <jo...@cgi.com>.
Ah - I had changed a couple of URLs in the topology to the FQDN of my server, instead of leaving as the default sandbox.hortonworks.com

Hence why it couldn't connect - there was no service listening.

All working now - thanks!

________________________________
From: "McParland, John" <jo...@cgi.com>
Date: Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at 10:30 AM
To: "user@knox.apache.org" <us...@knox.apache.org>

Hi Jan,

thanks for your quick response!  In answer to your questions

1) I believe I do have a sandbox topology;

[knox@sandbox topologies]$ pwd
/usr/hdp/0.10.0-SNAPSHOT/knox-server/conf/topologies
[knox@sandbox topologies]$ ls
default.xml  sandbox.xml

2) From my logs, this appears to be the most pertinent part

2016-11-01 08:26:07,553 WARN  hadoop.gateway (DefaultDispatch.java:executeOutboundRequest(146)) - Connection exception dispatching request: http://MYHOST:50070/webhdfs/v1/?op=LISTSTATUS&user.name=guest org.apache.http.conn.ConnectTimeoutException: Connect to MYHOST:50070 [MYHOST/64.4.6.233, MYHOST/65.55.39.12] failed: Connection timed out
org.apache.http.conn.ConnectTimeoutException: Connect to MYHOST.com:50070 [MYHOST/64.4.6.233, MYHOST/65.55.39.12] failed: Connection timed out
Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
        at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
        at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
        at org.apache.http.conn.socket.PlainConnectionSocketFactory.connectSocket(PlainConnectionSocketFactory.java:74)
        at org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultHttpClientConnectionOperator.connect(DefaultHttpClientConnectionOperator.java:134)
        ... 89 more

I've replaced the fully-qualified-domain-name with MYHOST.

Upon further inspection, I do notice that I'm running curl from the host on which Knox/HDP 2.4 is deployed, and using localhost as the hostname, however in my sandbox.xml the URLs use the fully-qualified domain name.  Do I need to change everything in the sandbox.xml to use localhost?

[...]

1)       Do you have a topology called „sandbox“ deployed? You can find the configuration of the topologies in the conf/topologies directory.

2)       Can you post the appropriate part of your logs?

Best, Jan

Posted by Jan Hentschel <ja...@ultratendency.com>.