Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/31 12:51:22 UTC

camel-splunk contribution - Thoughts from the Camel PMC?

Hi

We have a contribution in ticket

I am sending this mail to the PMC to have some thoughts about this contribution.

1)
If you see from the ticket, then splunk JARs is NOT in maven central.
And that would require our build of Apache Camel to depend on a 3rd
party maven repo. Which IMHO isn't desireable.

Though as splunk JARs is not OSGi compliant, we could possible create
a OSGi wrapper bundle, and release it as part of ServiceMix bundle
releases, the SMX team do, which are in Maven central:
http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/servicemix/bundles/

So if we do an OSGi bundle and release at SMX then we could rely on
maven central. Preben, the author of camel-splunk, has AFAIK been in
touch with Splunk about OSGify their JARs, but they seems not
interested doing this. Basically you can use their API JARs and
download them from their Maven repo - thats it.

So still we can get the SMX team to do OSGi bundles of these API JARs
and release as part of their bundle releases and we can use them from
Maven central.

So IMHO we have a solution to this issue.

2)
Splunk server is not open source. Though you can download a free
version which has limited indexing capabilities. But the source code
is not open source etc.

Though all the other Camel components are integrating with 100% free
open source libraries.

Any thoughts on going down this road? Having out of the box Camel
components that integrate with closed source software?

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: camel-splunk contribution - Thoughts from the Camel PMC?

Posted by Dhiraj Bokde <dh...@yahoo.com>.
Yes, Salesforce component also uses OSS Jetty HTTP Client and CometD to connect to closed source Salesforce server, so it falls in the same category.

It is important to make that distinction lest someone should assume that these components use commercial client libraries.

Regards,
Dhiraj.

 Subject: Re: camel-splunk contribution - Thoughts from the Camel PMC?
 To: dev@camel.apache.org
 Date: Saturday, August 31, 2013, 7:35 AM

 Actually the Splunk client jar is
 open source and ACL 2.0 licensed. See
 https://github.com/splunk/splunk-sdk-java#license . The
 source and
 development can also be found here.

 The server is commercial and closed source, and can be run
 on premise or as
 SAAS (haven't tried it though)

 Would that setup not resemble the same as the Facebook or
 Twitter component
 ? Client oss and server closed source (SAAS). I guess we
 will see a lot of
 this in the future.

 Best,
 Preben

 Nabble.com.

Re: camel-splunk contribution - Thoughts from the Camel PMC?

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.

Am 31.08.13 13:38 schrieb "Claus Ibsen" unter <cl...@gmail.com>:

>On Sat, Aug 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Babak Vahdat
><ba...@swissonline.ch> wrote:
>>

>> Am 31.08.13 12:51 schrieb "Claus Ibsen" unter <cl...@gmail.com>:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>We have a contribution in ticket
>>>https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-6584
>>>
>>>I am sending this mail to the PMC to have some thoughts about this
>>>contribution.
>>>
>>>1)
>>>If you see from the ticket, then splunk JARs is NOT in maven central.
>>>And that would require our build of Apache Camel to depend on a 3rd
>>>party maven repo. Which IMHO isn't desireable.
>>>
>>>Though as splunk JARs is not OSGi compliant, we could possible create
>>>a OSGi wrapper bundle, and release it as part of ServiceMix bundle
>>>releases, the SMX team do, which are in Maven central:
>>>http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/servicemix/bundles/
>>>
>>>So if we do an OSGi bundle and release at SMX then we could rely on
>>>maven central. Preben, the author of camel-splunk, has AFAIK been in
>>>touch with Splunk about OSGify their JARs, but they seems not
>>>interested doing this. Basically you can use their API JARs and
>>>download them from their Maven repo - thats it.
>>>
>>>So still we can get the SMX team to do OSGi bundles of these API JARs
>>>and release as part of their bundle releases and we can use them from
>>>Maven central.
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> I don't see any problem with this approach, that's providing an SMX OSGi
>> wrapper on central for this artifact. We already do this as well for a
>> bunch of other 3rd-party libs like QuickFix/J. And if in the future they
>> would "osgi-fy" their artifact but don't want to come over to the Apache
>> central-repo, then we could still grab their bundle from their own repo
>>as
>> we do this already today for example for camel-restlet.
>>

>>>So IMHO we have a solution to this issue.
>>>

>>>2)
>>>Splunk server is not open source. Though you can download a free
>>>version which has limited indexing capabilities. But the source code
>>>is not open source etc.
>>>
>>>Though all the other Camel components are integrating with 100% free
>>>open source libraries.
>>
>> Is this really the case? As an example is MongoDb or Salesforce already
>> 100% open source?
>>

>Good point about salesforce and the sap-netweaver actually. As they
>are closed source.
>
>mongodb on the other hand is 100% open source
>
>From their website:
>http://www.mongodb.org/
>
>MongoDB (from "humongous") is an open-source document database, and
>the leading NoSQL database. Written in C++, MongoDB features:
>
>And there is a link to where the source code is and how to build it etc
>http://www.mongodb.org/about/source-code/

Ah thanks for the hint about MongoDB. I didn't know that.

Babak

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.