Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com> on 2019/01/15 16:49:05 UTC

[VOTE] Release UIMA Ruta 2.7.0 RC1

Hi,

the first release candidate of Apache UIMA Ruta v2.7.0 is ready for voting.
This minor release is not compatible with UIMA v3

Major changes in this release:

UIMA Ruta Language and Analysis Engine:
* New language feature: label expressions at actions for directly
assigning/reusing newly created annotations. Example: Document{-> a:T1,
CREATE(T2, "ref" = a)};
* New language feature: new type of rule element for completely optional
match which does not require an existing annotation and therefore also
works at the boundary of a window/document. Example: NUM _{-PARTOF(CW)};
* Type lists can be used as matching condition.
* Initial default value of string and annotations variables is now null.
* Comparison of annotation and annotation list are now supported.
* New configuration parameter 'inferenceVisitors'.
* New configuration parameter 'maxRuleMatches'.
* New configuration parameter 'maxRuleElementMatches'.
* New configuration parameter 'rulesScriptName'.
* Inlined rules as condition are only evaluated if the rule element
match was successful.
* Multiple inlined rule blocks are allowed at one rule element.
* String features with allowed values are supported.
* PlainTextAnnotator supports vertical tabs.
* Various improvements for WORDTABLE.
* Thrown exceptions include script name.
* Fixed values of label for failed matches.
* Fixed inlined rules as condition at wildcards.
* Fixed resetting of annotation-based variables.
* Fixed various bugs of wildcards.
* Fixed CONTAINS condition for annotations overlapping the window.
* Fixed COUNT condition.
* Fixed setting variables by configuration parameter.

UIMA Ruta Workbench:
* Query View support more CAS formats.
* Fixed order of scripts in Applied Rules view.
* Fixed reporting of non-existing problems in editor.

Staging repository:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheuima-1212/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/uima/ruta/tags/ruta-2.7.0

Update site:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/ruta-2.7.0-rc1/eclipse-update-site/ruta/

Archive with all sources:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/uima/ruta-2.7.0-rc1/ruta-2.7.0-source-release.zip

Overall 43 issues have been fixed for this release (3 with other resolution)
They can be found in the RELEASE_NOTES.html.

... and here:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?filter=12345332&jql=project%20%3D%20UIMA%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%202.7.0ruta%20AND%20component%20%3D%20ruta%20ORDER%20BY%20created%20DESC

Please vote on release:

[ ] +1 OK to release
[ ]  0 Don't care
[ ] -1 Not OK to release, because ...

Thanks.

Peter

--
Dr. Peter Klügl
R&D Text Mining/Machine Learning

Averbis GmbH
Tennenbacher Str. 11
79106 Freiburg
Germany

Fon: +49 761 708 394 0
Fax: +49 761 708 394 10
Email: peter.kluegl@averbis.com
Web: https://averbis.com

Headquarters: Freiburg im Breisgau

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Ruta 2.7.0 RC1

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
starting review

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Ruta 2.7.0 RC1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

I just had a quick look at search.maven.org for the dltk bundles, but
haven't found any. (I would prefer to get rid of the complete repo and
not just of just a few artifacts)

I am not up to date, but I think the best way would be to resolve the
artifact not with an m2 but with a p2 repository meaning directly with
an update site.

I do not know if felix does now support that. It hasn't the last time I
looked. I would have to change the bundle build to tycho with a manifest
first approach, but would require quite some effort.

I really like to get rid of the custom repo... but I have to find the
time to do so. There are also many problems with the eclipse plugins
which require some attention and are postponed for now. The current
release is more about the language and the analysis engine.

Best,

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Yes, I can reproduce... looks like although the files are there, the artifacts and

Looks like a bug that has mostly gone unnoticed...

Thanks for reporting... hope your build works; if not I'm around to help debug :-)

-Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi Peter,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi,

I would suggest rebuilding the update site, and posting the release as RC1a or
something in your email, with an explanation :-).

I would rather that pruning the releases is more methodical/intentional, with
the older ones still being available at the
archive.apache.org/dist/uima/archive-eclipse-update-site/ruta-x.x.x-y.y.y site.

My experience is that users may have use cases we don't think of which could
require access to an older version (but not usually) - so the archive serves a
purpose.

Thanks. -Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Ah ok.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
ok, not a blocker... just mentioned it in case it was overlooked. -Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
restarting testing :-) after fixup of update site.  -Marshall

Re: [VOTE] Release UIMA Ruta 2.7.0 RC1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Aargh! New laptop, forgot to set the maven property...

Best,

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
update for updated update site ;-)

- old bundles are available - OK
- installed feature in Eclipse Photon - OK
- tested new stuff in Ruta Workbench - OK

[X] +1 OK to release

Peter

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
- mvn clean install svn-tag - OK

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

sorry, I totally forgot about this issue after the commit problems.

I think it does not need to be resolved. Both are needed and should be
merged (as you described).

The folder "antlr" contains the grammar(s) for parsing the ruta rules
for the analysis engine.

The folder "jflex" is new and contains the lexer grammar for the token
seeding, which was manually generated and put in src/main/java before.

I simply forgot to clean up the pom after including the jflex code gen
in the maven build.

I am not concerned about the artifacts in this rc. They are fine. If
there is a problem pointed out by the warning, hardly anything would work.

I would propose to fix this for the next release.

Best,

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi -

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

I added it when I was adapting the build process because it was in uimaj
somewhere and I actually wondered why this should be needed. Then, I
simply forgot to remove it.

Best,

Peter

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
This commit was performed to the wrong location although the url was
pointing to dev/. It will take some minutes to clean up the mess.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE][CANCELLED] Release UIMA Ruta 2.7.0 RC1

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
Yes, I will take a look.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pe...@averbis.com>.
This vote for releasing RC1 is cancelled. I will prepare a new RC.