Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Dy...@Sun.COM on 2008/02/29 16:55:15 UTC

New date for 10.4 feature freeze

Hi everybody,

Based on the feedback I have received I have decided to postpone feature
freeze with one week, making Fri 2008-03-07 the new feature
freeze date.

I realize that one week might not be enough to sort out the System
Privileges/JMX security issue, but as long as there is no estimate for
how long this could take, it does not seem reasonable to set a feature
freeze date based on this. Hopefully some way to resolve this can be
found in the coming week.

Dyre Tjeldvoll

Re: New date for 10.4 feature freeze

Posted by Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dy...@Sun.COM>.
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
>>  I have decided to postpone feature
>> freeze with one week, making Fri 2008-03-07 the new feature
>> freeze date.
> Will this also push the release candidate date a week?  I hope so.

Well, ultimately the community decides by voting to accept or reject the
release candidate, but I agree and I have updated the dates at

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFourRelease#preview

(adding a week to all the previous dates).

> It would be good to have as much time as possible for bug fixing since we
> are accumulating quite a few regressions and now
> have 312 open code bugs.

:( yes unfortunately.

Dyre

Re: New date for 10.4 feature freeze

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
>  I have decided to postpone feature
> freeze with one week, making Fri 2008-03-07 the new feature
> freeze date.

Will this also push the release candidate date a week?  I hope so. It
would be good to have as much time as possible for bug fixing since we
are accumulating quite a few regressions and now
have 312 open code bugs.

open code bugs:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&type=1&pid=10594&status=1&status=3&status=4&component=11407&component=11409&component=11690&component=11410&component=11709&component=11411&component=11415&component=11408&component=11412&component=11414&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC

regressions:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12311101

HighValueFixCandidates: (please update with bugs you think are high value)
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/HighValueFixCandidates

Re: New date for 10.4 feature freeze

Posted by Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dy...@Sun.COM>.
Martin Zaun wrote:

> Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
>>
>> I realize that one week might not be enough to sort out the System
>> Privileges/JMX security issue, but as long as there is no estimate for
>> how long this could take, it does not seem reasonable to set a feature
>> freeze date based on this. Hopefully some way to resolve this can be
>> found in the coming week.
>
> Extrapolating from the recent discussions on System Privileges behaviour
> (authorization ids, permission naming scheme, backward compatibility etc),
> which have been going on for some time, it's difficult to predict when we
> will have closure and agreement on what are partly conceptual items.
>
> But whether the System Privileges feature makes it into 10.4 or not, it
> would be good to have a discussion on how the work that's been done so far
> can be checked into the trunk (have a disabling flag?).  Also, there are
> the JMX dependencies.  I'll provide some suggestions on JIRA DERBY-2109.

Thanks Martin. I'm sorry for putting so much pressure on you. I know
that you have put much work into the privileges work, but I don't see
any other way. I think we need to cut the branch at some point to let
features targeted for 10.5 (such as SQL Roles) start up again...

Dyre

Re: New date for 10.4 feature freeze

Posted by Martin Zaun <Ma...@Sun.COM>.
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:

> I realize that one week might not be enough to sort out the System
> Privileges/JMX security issue, but as long as there is no estimate for
> how long this could take, it does not seem reasonable to set a feature
> freeze date based on this. Hopefully some way to resolve this can be
> found in the coming week.

Extrapolating from the recent discussions on System Privileges behaviour
(authorization ids, permission naming scheme, backward compatibility etc),
which have been going on for some time, it's difficult to predict when we
will have closure and agreement on what are partly conceptual items.

But whether the System Privileges feature makes it into 10.4 or not, it
would be good to have a discussion on how the work that's been done so far
can be checked into the trunk (have a disabling flag?).  Also, there are
the JMX dependencies.  I'll provide some suggestions on JIRA DERBY-2109.

Martin