Posted to dev@river.apache.org by Peter Firmstone <ji...@zeus.net.au> on 2010/02/04 23:17:49 UTC

Re: Apache River 2.1.2 Vote - slight revision

Hi Tom,

I thought the ASM license header was ok, as it's a compatible license,
that particular piece of code wasn't produced by Apache, we don't have
the right to remove the license header. It's been added to the docs.
However if you've got time, can you double check all the i's & t's for me?

http://www.apache.org/foundation/licence-FAQ.html

Hi Freeman,

We haven't drawn up a roadmap, organising our web documentation and
showing a roadmap would certainly help with our public image though!
Our current focus has been to make it easier to participate in River
development, by using more familiar tools such as ant and junit and
integrating the qa test suite.

After Release 2.1.2 we're moving to Java 5 Language features and
continuing focus on improving ease of developer participation.

I'd like to make it possible to utilise Jini services over the web,
making them discoverable with DNS Service Discovery, to increase our
potential developer base.

It would be good to make River more modular, break out the old RMI JRMP
implementations utilising pre compiled rmic stubs, but continue to make
it available to those who want to use it, perhaps as a separate package,
introduce new developers to using JERI dynamic stubs, don't confuse them
with multiple different ways of performing the same task, make things
simple and easier to understand.

Like Einstein said, make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.

Cheers,

Peter.