Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Sam Carleton <sc...@miltonstreet.com> on 2007/04/11 01:52:58 UTC

OT: mod_xmlns

Folks,

This is a bit off topic, but over the last few weeks I have come to
know you all as very helpful and extremely knowledgeable about all
things Apache and I have a feeling most all things Web related...

Thanks to Nick mentioning mod_xmlns in the server side include thread,
I just looked up what the module and read the
http://apache.webthing.com/mod_xmlns page.  After reading it, I am as
clueless as to what to do with mod_xmlns as before I read the page:(
I have been using XML/XSLT on and off for 8 years now, but being a GUI
developer (not web) it has been limited to very basic things like
dumping report data to XML and using XSLT to make a pretty HTML
report.  I get the impression there is XML being used in ways unknown
to me.  And mod_xmlns plays a role in these usages, unknown to me.

Might one or two of you direct me to some more info as to enlighten
this dim bulb;)

Sam

Re: OT: mod_xmlns

Posted by David Wortham <dj...@gmail.com>.
Sam,
   If you are unfamiliar with XML Namespaces in general, Wikipedia has a
concise article:

As far as teh module, it looks almost like a pre-processing parser that has
the ability to add namespace pre-tags (i.e. convert <body> to
<xhtml:body>).  It seems to work with DTDs/Schemas too, so maybe it can
pre-parse your XML file and check to make sure it conforms to the
DTD/Schema.

I haven't used the module before and I'm not even sure that that's the
purpose or even within the true capabilities of the module, but it may be a
platform for you to start your XML research.

BTW, I have used XML extensively in certain shallow areas, namely XSL(T),
although I am far from knowledgeable on the subject.

Dave

--
David Wortham
Senior Web Applications Developer