Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org> on 2002/06/20 08:55:15 UTC

Re: cvs commit: validation targets and v10 DTDs

crossley@apache.org wrote:
> crossley    2002/06/19 23:20:48
>
>   Modified:    src/resources/schema catalog catalog.xcat
>                src/resources/schema/entity ISOlat1.pen
>   Added:       src/resources/schema/dtd/v10 changes-v10.dtd characters.ent
>                         document-v10.dtd faq-v10.dtd todo-v10.dtd
>   Log:
>   Add v10 DTDs from Cocoon, to assist with transformation to v11 DTDs.

David, is it really needed to have the v10 DTDs inside Forrest? For the
sake of upgrading documents from v10 to v11, we don't really need them,
and adding them means people will start to use them and will not feel
the need to migrate to the new version.

Another minor quibble is the Ant-specific catalog file. This means we
now have to maintain three separate files for the exact same purpose. I
would have preferred to wait for Ant catching up on standardized
external entity catalog support instead. Another possibility would be
adding an Ant style task which generates the other catalog formats from
one canonical format.

Not that I'm not happy seeing you adding validation targets to Forrest;
you know that!

Thanks,

</Steven>

Re: cvs commit: validation targets and v10 DTDs

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.
David Crossley wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> > Steven Noels wrote:
> > >
> > > David, is it really needed to have the v10 DTDs inside Forrest? For the
> > > sake of upgrading documents from v10 to v11, we don't really need them,
> >
> > Ah, that is the trouble ... the new scratchpad targets
> > that Diana has developed for transform-v11 does require
> > the old v10 DTDs to be there.
>
> As soon as DTDs are declared in instances then they must
> be resolved. The only other solution is to dispense with
> centralised DTDs and the Ant <xmlcatalog>. This would then
> require the DTDs to be hard-coded below the xdocs at
> c2/v10/xdocs/dtd/
>
> > > and adding them means people will start to use them and will not feel
> > > the need to migrate to the new version.
> >
> > This is a dilemma. I was hoping that the easy transform-v11
> > facility will encourage them.
> >
> > > Another minor quibble is the Ant-specific catalog file. This means we
> > > now have to maintain three separate files for the exact same purpose. I
> > > would have preferred to wait for Ant catching up on standardized
> > > external entity catalog support instead.
> >
> > I agree. I would prefer that too. There are some notes in the
> > top of the catalog-ant.xcat to that effect.
>
> I wanted there to be no hindrance to the transition
> experiments. So i am happy to go ahead with this sub-optimal
> solution.
>
> > > Another possibility would be
> > > adding an Ant style task which generates the other
> > > catalog formats from one canonical format.
> >
> > OK. Let us try to add those Ant style tasks.

We could keep the v10 DTDs semi-hidden by not defining
them in the OASIS catalog. Therefore Forrest cannot use
them out-of-the-box. We could have an Ant task that
generates the catalog-ant.xcat to define the v10 dtds
(as well as the v11 stuff) and makes them available only
for transformation and validation tasks via Ant. I will
try that soon.

Even when Craeg gets the Resolver classes happening with
Ant, we would still need this capability. So effort is
not wasted.

> > > Not that I'm not happy seeing you adding validation
> > > targets to Forrest; you know that!
> > >
> > I was actually adding these in to support the new scratchpad
> > targets for the transformation from doc-v10 to v11. A side benefit
> > is that we can also do basic validation with DTDS.
> > --David

While i was adding Diana's scratchpad targets i thought:
gee, this is so easy ... i will soon add the Jing task
via Ant to start using Relax NG validation. Perhaps i
will get some spare time soon.
--David

Re: cvs commit: validation targets and v10 DTDs

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@indexgeo.com.au>.