Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "R. S. Patil" <kp...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/17 11:40:13 UTC

Servlet MessageBrokerServlet is not available on Ubuntu AMD64

Hello,

Production Config.
OS   - Kubuntu 9.10 AMD64 (Dell Vostro 1710 Laptop, 4 GB, 250GB -> XP
Dual Booting)
Java -
   Java version "1.6.0_15"
   Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.1-b02, mixed mode)
Tomcat - Tomcat 6.0.20-2ubuntu2 (Repository Install)

Development Config.
OS - XP SP3.
Java -
        Java version "1.6.0_14"
        Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode, sharing)
Tomcat 6.0.20 Installed by windows exe installer downloaded from
Tomcat downloads.

I have downloaded blazeds-bin-3.3.0.11688.zip and deployed
blazeds.war on winXP tomcat 6.20.There
http://localhost:8080/blazeds/messagebroker/amf
url in browser gives me blank screen as expected.

I deployed same .war in catalina/localhost and tried same URL but I
get following error

Servlet MessageBrokerServlet is not available

instead of blankscreen as expected.

What might be wrong ?

The Tomcat Log is As Follows. Hope Somebody will be able to decode this

16 Nov, 2009 10:05:39 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: SessionListener: contextDestroyed()
16 Nov, 2009 10:05:39 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener: contextDestroyed()
16 Nov, 2009 10:05:47 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: ContextListener: contextInitialized()
16 Nov, 2009 10:05:47 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: SessionListener: contextInitialized()
16 Nov, 2009 10:05:47 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContext log
INFO: Marking servlet MessageBrokerServlet as unavailable
16 Nov, 2009 10:05:47 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext loadOnStartup
SEVERE: Servlet /blazeds threw load() exception
javax.servlet.UnavailableException
    at flex.messaging.MessageBrokerServlet.init(MessageBrokerServlet.java:170)
    at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil$1.run(SecurityUtil.java:269)
    at javax.security.auth.Subject.doAsPrivileged(Subject.java:517)
    at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.execute(SecurityUtil.java:301)
    at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.java:162)
    at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityUtil.doAsPrivilege(SecurityUtil.java:115)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:1167)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.load(StandardWrapper.java:993)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.loadOnStartup(StandardContext.java:4149)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.start(StandardContext.java:4458)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:791)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.access$000(ContainerBase.java:123)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase$PrivilegedAddChild.run(ContainerBase.java:145)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:769)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:526)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptor(HostConfig.java:630)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDescriptors(HostConfig.java:556)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:491)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1206)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:314)
    at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1053)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.start(StandardHost.java:722)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.start(ContainerBase.java:1045)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngine.start(StandardEngine.java:443)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:516)
    at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:710)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:583)
    at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:288)
    at org.apache.commons.daemon.support.DaemonLoader.start(DaemonLoader.java:177)

Thanks and best regards.

Raja

Re: Fwd: Servlet MessageBrokerServlet is not available on Ubuntu AMD64

Posted by "R. S. Patil" <kp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks chris,

> On 11/18/2009 11:07 PM, R. S. Patil wrote:
>> The repository Install of Tomcat has the problem.
>
> *Please report this issue to the Ubuntu folks*. I'd really prefer if we
> didn't always have to tell people having your type of problems that
> "everything will be fine if you uninstall the package-managed version of
> Tomcat and install a 'real' Tomcat from tomcat.apache.org".
>
> It gets kind of tiresome doing that, and also it would be nice if the
> package-managed versions actually did work properly.
>
> The problem is that people come here for help and we don't know all the
> weird conventions of each package manager's file layout, etc. so we
> can't give decent help to those who need it.

Well, I agree with you. I too read on Apache site the first thing mentioned
that "do a Official Install" then ask question. But the natural tendency is
to install from repositories like other packages in minor testing it works
fine but with some critical cases it fails then naturally ppl turn to Apache
site for help and rush to mailing list for asking question. This is what
causes trouble to ppl like you. Later the suffering ppl read the site
thoroughly and start feeling guilty that it should have been read earlier.
this is what I am facing today.

I am going to put this to Kubuntu mailing list but I not confident that they
will take it seriously because the person wrote a how for tomcat tar.gz
installation on Ubuntu was in 2007 still his observation is valid at
end of 2009.
well anyhow matter is sorted out and who so ever in my touch would like to
install tomcat on ubuntu I will adwise him to do tar.gz installation.

Thanks and sorry for trouble.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Fwd: Servlet MessageBrokerServlet is not available on Ubuntu AMD64

Posted by "R. S. Patil" <kp...@gmail.com>.
I have solved this problem. What I did is as Follows.

There is No Problem with either BlazeDS, Tomcat or Kubuntu OS as such.
The repository Install of Tomcat has the problem. What I did is as follows.

1. First I removed the repository Install of all Tomcat packages.
2. Downloaded the stable tar.gz distribution from Apache website.
3. Followed Instructions at this
   http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/linux/installing-tomcat-6-on-ubuntu/
   (states that repository Install of tomcat do not work properly.)

4. deployed the blazeds war on linux
5. Started Tomcat and tested http://localhost:8080/blazeds/messagebroker/amf

It gave me blank screen as expected.

Moderators may put "Repository Install of Tomcat do not work properly"
in FAQ section of Tomcat so that it helps Ubuntu Users.

Thanks and best Regards

Raja

Re: Servlet MessageBrokerServlet is not available on Ubuntu AMD64

Posted by "R. S. Patil" <kp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks

> Something wrong in your blazeds config I'd guess.  I'd ask those folks for
> help, if I were you.

I did the same but there was no response. So I thought that there might be
some problem regarding Tomcat Win and Tomcat Lin (Ubuntu Specific).
I too can logically say that when a war file works OK on XP should work on linux
But it fails on Linux so Doubt points to tomcat 6 On Ubuntu Linux.

BTW can u decode log I have mentioned. Will u please tell me why The
servlet is not
available when the class file messagebroker.classs is very well available in
one of the jar files in context/lib dir as part of .jar file, so
logically its available to
tomcat but practically it's not available as log depicts it.

Can somebody spare sometime to go through log and guide me about how should I
precced.

Thanks and best regards.

Raja
. :wq

Re: Servlet MessageBrokerServlet is not available on Ubuntu AMD64

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.