Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/01/29 19:52:58 UTC

Random woes...

Can anybody  help me figure out these? I use forrest (lots) I just don't
know it's internal workings (I didn't create the skins, or tweak the
config). I am a dumb user [not proud, just a fact], and if at all possible
I'd like to remain that way (just learn the XDOCs layout, and let forrest be
smarter than me.) Maybe I can't though, 'cos these just got me when I ran a
relatively recent CVS HEAD version against some xdocs/config that I've not
changed in ages:

1) Why are these breadcrumbs bogus? [Do other folks see what I see?]

http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/index.html

2) The 'every menu site.xml knows of' at :

http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/nagged.html

3) Why does FAQ have a PDF, but the others don't?

http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/faq.html

BTW: Can one somehow insert the version of forrest used in a site, to help
w/ debug? I maintain a bunch of forrest installs in various places and they
came from CVS at various times.

P.S. What is the state of forrestbot on Apache for Apache projects? The
'old' bot had a forrest that was too old for Gump's pages. Is the new bot
available to the community as a service?

regards

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: Random woes...

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> So you should not specify
> a breadcrumb for http://jakarta.apache.org/gump in your skinconf.xml

Ok, I'll try that, thanks.

> Looking at site.xml, I don't see an entry for nagged, so it doesn't know
> which tab to put it under.  If you don't want a link to it in the menu,
> but still want it to appear as part of one tab, you can use a site.xml
> entry without specifying a label.

Sorry, not following that. I thought <site tab='home' set home as the
default for all unspecified pages, did I misread that (I thought I once got
that fro mthe docs)?

regards,

Adam

Re: Random woes...

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> Can anybody  help me figure out these? I use forrest (lots) I just don't
> know it's internal workings (I didn't create the skins, or tweak the
> config). I am a dumb user [not proud, just a fact], and if at all possible
> I'd like to remain that way (just learn the XDOCs layout, and let forrest be
> smarter than me.) Maybe I can't though, 'cos these just got me when I ran a
> relatively recent CVS HEAD version against some xdocs/config that I've not
> changed in ages:
>
> 1) Why are these breadcrumbs bogus? [Do other folks see what I see?]
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/index.html

This is a common problem.  Perhaps we should make an FAQ.  You can specify
up to three urls in the skinconf.xml.  These are used as the first items
in the breadcrumb trail.  After that, javascript is used to make links for
each directory, beginning at the domain.  So in your case, javascript
creates a 'gump' link for the 'gump' directory.  So you should not specify
a breadcrumb for http://jakarta.apache.org/gump in your skinconf.xml

> 2) The 'every menu site.xml knows of' at :
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/gump/nagged.html

Looking at site.xml, I don't see an entry for nagged, so it doesn't know
which tab to put it under.  If you don't want a link to it in the menu,
but still want it to appear as part of one tab, you can use a site.xml
entry without specifying a label.

> P.S. What is the state of forrestbot on Apache for Apache projects? The
> 'old' bot had a forrest that was too old for Gump's pages. Is the new bot
> available to the community as a service?

The new forrestbot in latest CVS works, but the webapp to trigger it is
not working yet.  These are both in the 'sandbox' directory and will
replace the old forrestbot once they are ready.  After this, I will see
what has to be done to get it up at forrestbot.cocoondev.org

--
Dave Brondsema
dave@brondsema.net