Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Daniel Gonzalez <go...@gonvaled.com> on 2012/09/12 13:15:47 UTC

Problems installing CouchDB 1.2.0 in Ubuntu 8.04 Server (HardyHeron)

Hi,

I am using the git repo (git://github.com/apache/couchdb.git) for this
install.
I have selected tag 1.2.0. I do:

./bootstrap

And then:

$ ./configure
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
./configure: line 3698: syntax error near unexpected token `win32-dll'
./configure: line 3698: `LT_INIT(win32-dll)'

What does this error mean? Has somebody been able to install CouchDB 1.2.0
in Ubuntu 8.04 Server?

Thanks,
Daniel

Re: Problems installing CouchDB 1.2.0 in Ubuntu 8.04 Server (HardyHeron)

Posted by Daniel Gonzalez <go...@gonvaled.com>.
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:41 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> wrote:

> I bet it does effect something.
>
> This was reported on mongodb lists a while back;
>
> > I've seen this happen before when the headers used to compile don't
> > match the library.
> > You should make sure there isn't a conflict between the version of
> > spidermonkey you build yourself, and your system version.
>
> If you can, build using this specific version of SM[1] and use the
> various JS-* flags in configure to force detection & usage of that.
> You're better off if you can remove any XULrunner or js-devel packages
> lurking around, but that's not always an option.
>
> [1]: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/SpiderMonkey/1.8.5
>
> A+
> Dave

Thanks Dave,

I have reinstalled spidermonkey from source, and the problems are gone.
This is how I am doing it, in case it can help  others:

install_spidermonkey_ ( ) {
    cd /tmp
    SPIDERMONKEY_VER="js185-1.0.0"
    SPIDERMONKEY_DIR="js-1.8.5"
    wget wget
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/${SPIDERMONKEY_VER}.tar.gz
    tar xvzf ${SPIDERMONKEY_VER}.tar.gz
    cd ${SPIDERMONKEY_DIR}/js/src
    make distclean 2> /dev/null # Just in case it is dirty
    ./configure
    make clean
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo ldconfig # Make sure the new libraries are reachable
}

And then, to build couch:

JS_LIB="/usr/local/lib/libmozjs185.so"
JS_INCLUDE="/usr/local/include/js"
./configure --with-js-lib=${JS_LIB} --with-js-include=${JS_INCLUDE}

BR,

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gonzalez <go...@gonvaled.com>.
Thanks Dave,

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 12 September 2012 20:43, Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Have our INSTALL docs been updated to indicate required Autotools versions?

Hi Noah, likely not, on the other hand I'm not really sure how to tell
what we are
dependent on.

For 1.1.1, there were incompatibilities between building a release on
Snow Leopard,
and having it build on windows too. Bob ended up rolling it on a debian box.

Other than dumb testing, any bright ideas?

A+
Dave

Re: Problems installing CouchDB 1.2.0 in Ubuntu 8.04 Server (HardyHeron)

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Dave,

--
NS

Re: Problems installing CouchDB 1.2.0 in Ubuntu 8.04 Server (HardyHeron)

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Posted by Daniel Gonzalez <go...@gonvaled.com>.
Thanks Dan,

Sure, upgrading my Ubuntu box would be a solution, but frankly that is too
much hassle just to install couchdb 1.2.0.
Fortunately I got it to work with the Dave's suggestion.

BR,
Daniel

Posted by Dan Santner <da...@me.com>.