Posted to c-users@xerces.apache.org by Kelly Beard <ke...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/10 17:04:32 UTC

DOMWriter help

I can't seem to be able to force a DOMWriter to write XML in a flat
way.  By flat I mean that all elements are on a single line, no pretty
print, etc.  If I create a document in memory I can write it out flat,
but let's say you read in a document from a file that was created with
some sort of formatting.  If you read in this document and write it
out, you always get a pretty-print output, sometimes with extra
newlines, even if you have all that pretty-printing shut off.  Anyone
know how to do this?  I didn't think that the document was being held
in memory like this, with all of the formatting and such.

--
Kelly Beard

RE: DOMWriter help

Posted by Jesse Pelton <js...@PKC.com>.
I don't know what could be causing extra newlines, but if you read in a
document with whitespace, you'll write out a document with whitespace
unless you strip it out.  You can have a validating parser do this for
you by providing a DTD or Schema for your documents and calling
setIncludeIgnorableWhitespace(false) on the parser before reading the
document.  Call setValidationScheme(Val_Always) to ensure the parser
always validates, or use Val_Auto if validation is optional.