Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/05/31 20:09:22 UTC

Gump is resuming...

Just a warning...for the next few days, don't be surprised if you see some
weird results or failures.

A few things to be aware of: I'm trying out the beta of JDK 1.4.  It
contains a beta of JDBC 3.0, which appears to contain a not backwards
compatible change that affects at least both Struts and and commons-dbcp.

It also contains a buggy version of Crimson (the fix for the problem I am
seeing was committed to Apache over a month ago).

Also, given the way the build is set up for XSLTC, the build only works if
run from a specific directory.  While I don't like this, it seems to me
that Gump should adapt to the way projects are built, not the other way
around, so I will be making changes.

Anyway - the net of all this is that I will be making changes that affect
both the setting of the path and classpath.  So, if you see a failure that
you don't understand, let me know and I will check to make sure that what I
think I was compiling against and what I actually am compiling with are in
fact the same things.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Gump is resuming...

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
Sam,

I am working on improvements to the jakarta-taglibs build/documentation/release.
Could you please forward to me any information related to jakarta-taglibs and
Gump?

Thanks,

Glenn

RE: Gump is resuming...

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 02:01 PM 6/1/01 -0400, Terry Westley wrote:
>> From: Jon Stevens [mailto:jon@latchkey.com]
>> <http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/latest/>
>
>This is very interesting.  Where can I learn more about
>the jakarta build process?
>
>I'm manager of a software development group.  We use
>Clearcase and makefiles instead of CVS and Ant, but I
>could learn a thing or two from the jakarta build process
>to improve our process.

A good place to go for information on gump would be the alexandria project
(of which gump is a proposal). For ant there is ant-user mailing list and
web site documentation ;) HTH.
Cheers,

Pete

Re: Gump is resuming...

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

<http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/>
<http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria/>

> I'm manager of a software development group.  We use
> Clearcase and makefiles instead of CVS and Ant, but I
> could learn a thing or two from the jakarta build process
> to improve our process.

Yea, like dumping clearcase and makefiles. :-) Start with the makefiles.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous

RE: Gump is resuming...

Posted by Terry Westley <tw...@acm.org>.

--
Terry Westley
twestley@acm.org

Re: Gump is resuming...

Posted by Jon Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

RE: Gump is resuming...

Posted by Ylan Segal <yl...@email.com>.
Hi,

What is Gump? I have have been following this mailing list and I have read a
lot of talk about Gump, but I don't know what it is, and could not find a
project named like that in the jakarta website or cvs.

Thanks.

Ylan Segal

|Just a warning...for the next few days, don't be surprised if you see some
|weird results or failures.
|
|A few things to be aware of: I'm trying out the beta of JDK 1.4.  It
|contains a beta of JDBC 3.0, which appears to contain a not backwards
|compatible change that affects at least both Struts and and commons-dbcp.
|
|It also contains a buggy version of Crimson (the fix for the problem I am
|seeing was committed to Apache over a month ago).
|
|Also, given the way the build is set up for XSLTC, the build only works if
|run from a specific directory.  While I don't like this, it seems to me
|that Gump should adapt to the way projects are built, not the other way
|around, so I will be making changes.
|
|Anyway - the net of all this is that I will be making changes that affect
|both the setting of the path and classpath.  So, if you see a failure that
|you don't understand, let me know and I will check to make sure that what I
|think I was compiling against and what I actually am compiling with are in
|fact the same things.

|- Sam Ruby