Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Dave Feltenberger <da...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/05 18:57:17 UTC

Problem attaching assembly to multi-module pom project

All -

I'm still experiencing the error described here:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-117

It says it was fixed in 2.2-beta-1, which I've verified is the only
version in repository\org\apache\maven\plugins\maven-assembly-plugin
(i.e. I'm using the plugin that was supposed to have fixed it).

I'm getting the following error:

Failed to create assembly: Artifact:
my-group:my-web-app:war:1.0-SNAPSHOT (included by module) does not
have an artifact with a file. Please ensure the package phase is run
before the assembly is generated.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Dave

Re: Problem attaching assembly to multi-module pom project

Posted by John Casey <ca...@gmail.com>.
Maven currently has a design flaw which prevents parent projects from
creating assemblies that contain binary products from the child project
builds, whenever those child projects specify the parent using the <parent/>
section of the POM. This is because of the project sorting algorithm used by
Maven, where that <parent/> section introduces a dependency from child to
parent, forcing the parent project to be built first. Since part of this
parent build process includes the assembly, the child project will not have
been built yet by the time the parent's assembly process goes looking for
the child artifacts.

As a workaround, you can use:

mvn package assembly:assembly

-john

On 10/5/07, Dave Feltenberger <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All -
>
> I'm still experiencing the error described here:
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MASSEMBLY-117
>
> It says it was fixed in 2.2-beta-1, which I've verified is the only
> version in repository\org\apache\maven\plugins\maven-assembly-plugin
> (i.e. I'm using the plugin that was supposed to have fixed it).
>
> I'm getting the following error:
>
> Failed to create assembly: Artifact:
> my-group:my-web-app:war:1.0-SNAPSHOT (included by module) does not
> have an artifact with a file. Please ensure the package phase is run
> before the assembly is generated.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave