Posted to dev@felix.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2006/09/17 09:42:35 UTC

Re: svn commit: r447000 - /incubator/felix/trunk/tools/mangen/

On Sunday 17 September 2006 10:32, rickhall@apache.org wrote:
>Log:
> Set the svn:ignore property.

> +*.ipr
> +*.iml

Isn't there quite a lot of people using Idea around here. Would be really
convenient to have the project and module files committed, especially if the
dependencies are referenced via a M2_REPO variable to the Maven2 local
repo/cache.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: svn commit: r447000 - /incubator/felix/trunk/tools/mangen/

Posted by Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com>.
Hi,

On 9/17/06, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On 9/17/06, Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com> wrote:
> > (1) they may be generated automatically by maven
> That sounds not very wise...

Why ?

If the project files are generated from the pom by maven, there will
always be only on source of project configuration. Having the IDE
project files in SVN there will be multiple - generally inconsistant -
sources ...

> (2) many people will modify the files while working - so you will
> > always have to crosscheck and take care before checking in
>

> Not sure what you mean.  The ipr and iml files only get modified when
> something substantial changes, such as a change in dependencies, new
> library, new module and so forth. This should happen relatively seldom. The

I, for my part, often times modify dependencies in the projects to
test things .. and then I sometimes forget about what exactly I did

> .iws file, otoh, changes with "current view" or "workbench setup" which
> should be a private affair.

Yeah, this is comparable to the .workspace folder of eclipse

> (3) how about those not using idea but eclipse, jbuilder, netbeans,
> > etc. ? should we also commit those files ?
>

> Yeah, why not? (I assume that those IDEs have a system that makes it
> possible to share.)
> The only question is 'maintenance' and 'uptodateness', i.e. don't blame the
> Eclipse guy when Idea files are no longer up-to-date due to a change in the
> pom.xml... ;o)

Good, but then you loose some time whenever there is an update, which
is not done in the intellij file - or worse - vice versa...

> Maven should be the primary build system, and the reference for "a working
> commit". But instead of 15 people changing the project files separately, I
> think it makes sense one share the burden. Setting up Felix from scratch in
> a IDE is not a small feat...

Agreed re. Maven but the pom files are descriptions of the build
environment, which is exactly what the IDE files are, too. So
basically the intent is really the same for both files, only format is
actually different.

Setting up Felix for an IDE from scratch is relatively, at least for
eclipse: I run the eclipse:eclipse goal on the parent project and get
the eclipse project descriptions for each project. Next I just import
all projects into the eclipse workspace. I assume, the same would be
possible for IntelliJ ?

Regards
Felix

Re: svn commit: r447000 - /incubator/felix/trunk/tools/mangen/

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On 9/17/06, Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com> wrote:

> (1) they may be generated automatically by maven

That sounds not very wise...

(2) many people will modify the files while working - so you will
> always have to crosscheck and take care before checking in

Not sure what you mean.  The ipr and iml files only get modified when
something substantial changes, such as a change in dependencies, new
library, new module and so forth. This should happen relatively seldom. The
.iws file, otoh, changes with "current view" or "workbench setup" which
should be a private affair.

(3) how about those not using idea but eclipse, jbuilder, netbeans,
> etc. ? should we also commit those files ?

Yeah, why not? (I assume that those IDEs have a system that makes it
possible to share.)
The only question is 'maintenance' and 'uptodateness', i.e. don't blame the
Eclipse guy when Idea files are no longer up-to-date due to a change in the
pom.xml... ;o)

Before maven we used to commit the project files, too. But then we

Posted by Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com>.
Hi,

I personally think, that committing those files would not be a good
idea, because:

(1) they may be generated automatically by maven
(2) many people will modify the files while working - so you will
always have to crosscheck and take care before checking in
(3) how about those not using idea but eclipse, jbuilder, netbeans,
etc. ? should we also commit those files ?

Before maven we used to commit the project files, too. But then we
were never quite happy because, there were unintented committals or
other strugles - one time we committed templates but always forgot to
adapt them. Hence, I am really happy with having maven to generate the
files for me today. It also gives better consistency.

Just my $.02.

Regards
Felix

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
Cool, I will have to check out the NetBeans plugin. Thanks.

-> richard

Posted by Felix Meschberger <Fe...@day.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Richard S. Hall wrote:
> We are not just ignoring Idea, the properties also ignore Eclipse
> project files too. I do not think checking in IDE files is a good idea.

+1

I could not agree with you more.

Alex

Re: svn commit: r447000 - /incubator/felix/trunk/tools/mangen/

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
We are not just ignoring Idea, the properties also ignore Eclipse
project files too. I do not think checking in IDE files is a good idea.

I just do "mvn eclipse:eclipse" to get the Eclipse projects created and
this is really simple. For NetBeans, I have manually created projects.