Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Balgeman, Timothy E (Tim)" <ba...@alcatel-lucent.com> on 2008/09/08 18:49:04 UTC

SSL https clientAuth debugging assistance

We have just started using Tomcat.  We are using version 5.5.26.

I was able to set up Tomcat and get it running with our application.  I
also have enabled SSL:
               maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25"
maxSpareThreads="75"
               acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
               clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS"
               keystoreFile="conf/keystore" keyAlias="tomcat" />

I have one user that needs use to authenticate their client.  I have
this working on our development system (added their certificate to our
keystore) but following the same process to our test box is failing.
The client (which I don't have access to) is giving a very generic error
message.

Is there a way that I can see why the client is failing the connection
(i.e. certificate doesn't match client, certificate expired, ...) or get
more debugging information from the Tomcat side?

Thanks
Tim

RE: SSL https clientAuth debugging assistance

Posted by "Balgeman, Timothy E (Tim)" <ba...@alcatel-lucent.com>.
Thank you Martin for your reply.

I installed the log4j and it is logging information when I shutdown
tomcat, but no other time.  I have also tried messing with the
java.util.logging but an getting nowhere with that.

I am using the default log4j.properties as mentioned on the tomcat web
pages.  I expected more stuff in the log file and was hoping for SSL
connection information.  Am I off base?
Tim

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.