Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/04 10:16:41 UTC

base.path=/opt

Folks,

In excalibur's various ant.properties.sample files there is reference to

   base.path=/opt

Sometimes it is used, most times not.
For those times it is used it will only work on the unix machine of
people why have /opt suitable configured.  For windows people it will
not work and anyway I think '../..' would be more universal.

We need to decide a strategy...

- Paul

Re: base.path=/opt

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 09:10, Jeff Turner wrote:
> Second, remember that ../ant.properties is sourced before
> ./ant.properties, so if your ${base.path} is not /opt, you only have to
> redefine it once, not for each project.

Could we change this order of precedence aswell. I always want to be able to
set specific proeprties for a specific project but if not allow them to
cascade to workspace (ie ../ant.proeprties) or per-user (ie ~/.ant.properties)

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: base.path=/opt

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 09:16:41AM +0100, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,
>
> In excalibur's various ant.properties.sample files there is reference to
>
>    base.path=/opt
>
> Sometimes it is used, most times not.
> For those times it is used it will only work on the unix machine of
> people why have /opt suitable configured.  For windows people it will
> not work and anyway I think '../..' would be more universal.

You're right, "../../" is a better default. I'll change it unless
someone objects.

> We need to decide a strategy...

Well.. first, note that with the coming of altrmi, we have very few
external dependencies:

junit
avalon-logkit
avalon-framework
jmxri (baxter)

Of those, the defaults for logkit and framework jars will be correct for
anyone with the recommended directory layout:

jakarta-avalon-excalibur
jakarta-avalon-logkit
jakarta-avalon

(however if that assumption is false, the user will be prompted to edit
ant.properties)

And junit.jar is very likely in the user's ${ant.home}/lib, and need not
be set explicitly.

Second, remember that ../ant.properties is sourced before
./ant.properties, so if your ${base.path} is not /opt, you only have to
redefine it once, not for each project.

So the problem is very slight.

--Jeff