Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Andrew Gaul <ga...@apache.org> on 2020/07/06 12:59:44 UTC

jclouds use of gson

A contributor recently submitted a pull request to jclouds which
proposes unshadowing gson, part of our efforts to modernizing our
dependencies:

https://github.com/apache/jclouds/pull/78

However, our team lacks the OSGi expertise to review this change.  Could
someone from the Karaf team help us out?  The Karaf project took over
maintenance of jclouds-karaf last year and we prefer not to break any
users:

https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@karaf.apache.org/msg13623.html

--
Andrew Gaul
http://gaul.org/

Re: jclouds use of gson

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoft.io>.
Thanks Geoff, and Jclouds team, and Markus for the contribution.

FWIW regretfully I'd rather jclouds *didn't* do this.  Personally I
don't see benefits to Apache Brooklyn and I *do* see it increasing our
dependency hell -- as ugly as shading is, it spares us that problem.
Given that it sounds like GSON OGSi support is flaky (thanks Robert) and
the community unresponsive (no release since the issues were fixed in
2019) it seems especially unwise.

There was a suggestion that Jackson be used, instead of GSON (whether
official or forked and shaded), as the way to modernize and go
proper/clean OSGi and simplify integration.  I'd +1 that.

On a side note, the use of BND here seemed nice.  Would that be a
candidate for a separate PR?

Best
Alex

Re: jclouds use of gson