Posted to commits@spamassassin.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2009/05/28 19:06:49 UTC

[Spamassassin Wiki] Update of "StartUsing" by DGerman

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Spamassassin Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by DGerman:
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/StartUsing

The comment on the change is:
add "but I don't like ...; change firest level bullets to title2

  Spam``Assassin runs on a server, and filters spam before it reaches your mailbox. It has been used by nearly every known mail delivery system. Install it yourself today...

-   * '''I run a mail server:'''
+ == I run a mail server ==
      * UsedViaProcmail: Using Procmail with Spam``Assassin
      * Make use of other anti-spam projects:  DnsBlocklists (using DNSBLs),  UsingDcc, UsingRazor, and UsingPyzor.
      * IntegratedInMta: built into the whole mail-delivery process in the Mail Transfer Agent (sendmail, Exim, Postfix, etc.)
@@ -12, +12 @@

      * [http://blog.netweblogic.com/linux/mail/qmail-scanner-linux-plesk/ SpamAssassin with Qmail-Scanner] - Integrate SA into Qmail-Scanner on a Linux PLESK server.
      * [http://blog.netweblogic.com/linux/mail/filter-spam-folder-procmail-qmail-plesk/ Spam folder with Procmail] - Use procmail to filter spam into a seperate folder server-wide.

-   * '''I have an account on a server:'''
+ == I have an account on a server ==
      * SingleUserUnixInstall: single-user installation on a typical Unix account
      * UsedViaProcmail: run from the traditional UNIX .procmailrc file
      * MailProxy: as a proxy server
      * Run against a RemoteImapFolder
-     * Run against a Remote POP3 Mailbox using  dispam http://gentoo-portage.com/mail-filter/disspam
+     * Run against a Remote POP3 Mailbox using  dispam http://gentoo-portage.com/mail-filter/disspam  .

+ == I have an account on a server, spamassassin is already running but ==
+     '''I don't like how it decides what is spam and what is ham.
+
+     1. examine x-Spam headers in several emails to see how spamassassin is evaluating them
+      * on a shared server with a web interface like cPanel:
+       * use the spamassassin panels to view the current configuration.
+       * RECORD ALL settings on the various panels.
+
+      * with shell access:
+       * ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs contains the user customization configuration.
+       * cp ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs_original
+
+     2. Make a small adjustment to the score on one of the rules.
+
+
+     Additional information regarding user_prefs can be found at
+      http://Real-World-Systems.com/docs/spamassassin_conf.html
+
+
-   * '''Can I just buy something?'''
+ == Can I just buy something? ==
      * Sure. Many commercial ThirdPartySoftware products use Spam``Assassin internally.

-   * '''Can I use Spam``Assassin on other systems:'''
+ == Can I use Spam``Assassin on other systems ==
      * On Mac OS X: UsingOnOsx
      * On Mac OS X Server: ["SpamAssassin_on_Mac_OS_X_Server"]
      * On Windows: UsingOnWindows