Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Patrick Kursawe <Pa...@web.de> on 2010/06/24 13:03:28 UTC

Exception in blame.c, line 487 encountered

Hi all,

I just was asked to report a problem on this mailing list. I was trying
to do a blame for a range of 5000-HEAD including merge info
(using TortoiseSVN).

In file
'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.6.8\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_client\blame.c'
line 487: assertion failed (frb->last_filename == NULL)

If I don't include merge info, it works fine.

Please mail directly to me if you need more information / want me to try
something since I am not following this list.

Bye,

Patrick

Re: Exception in blame.c, line 487 encountered

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Patrick Kursawe wrote on Tue, 29 Jun 2010 at 13:42 -0000:
> Am 6/28/2010 10:38 PM, schrieb Daniel Shahaf:
> [...]
> > Firstly, could you please file an issue in our tracker, so we don't
> > forget it?
> >

> I did not know the correct initial assignee, so I just assigned it to you  -

You could have left the 'assignee' field blank.  I've fixed it now.

> > Secondly, could you share a script that produces your example
> > repository?  (it's easier for us to consume that way)
> >

> I'm not familiar with your issue tracker, so it's inline, not an attachment.
> Sorry.

Not a problem.

> > If you'd like to write a patch for this, you're more than welcome to
> > do so.  Our patch guidelines are here:
> > http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/general.html#patches
> >
> Not sure how to deal with this problem, see the issue...

*nod*

I'll forward the issue to the dev@ list (CCing you), there's a greater
chance to get eyes on it that way I think.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
CC += dev@

Patrick Kursawe wrote on Tue, 29 Jun 2010 at 13:42 -0000:
> Am 6/28/2010 10:38 PM, schrieb Daniel Shahaf:
> [...]
> > Wow.
> > NICE.
> >
> > You're the first person I know of to be able to build Subversion on
> > Windows without fighting with it for days/weeks before... (and you even
> > have a working debug environment)
> >
> > How did you do that?
> >

> If I had known this, I hadn't tried. Well, it was quite some fight,
> and I don't remember all the gory details.  I remember that I had to
> add a lot of library paths and lib-files to the projects manually and
> that it somehow helped to use the static libraries wherever available.
> After grep-ing for a while to find all object and lib files which
> could resolve all those unresolved symbols, I still got a problem with
> _inflate_fast from zlib. I built zlib again this time using masm and
> finally I could link svn.exe (didn't try to build any other
> executable).  In the debugger I had to learn that the command
> parameters I specified were not passed to the program, so I replaced
> argc/argv with self-defined variables containing the right stuff.

1. It *really* should be easier than that.  (e.g., I can build by using a
single '(n)make' invocation, and the debugger in VC just works without
hacking argv/argc in main().)

2. "If you've made it this far, go and enjoy your $favorite_beverage now."

Daniel

Re: Exception in blame.c, line 487 encountered

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
CC += dev@

Posted by Patrick Kursawe <Pa...@web.de>.
Am 6/28/2010 10:38 PM, schrieb Daniel Shahaf:
[...]
> Wow.
> NICE.
>
> You're the first person I know of to be able to build Subversion on
> Windows without fighting with it for days/weeks before... (and you even
> have a working debug environment)
>
> How did you do that?

If I had known this, I hadn't tried. Well, it was quite some fight, and
I don't remember all the gory details.
I remember that I had to add a lot of library paths and lib-files to the
projects manually and that it somehow helped
to use the static libraries wherever available. After grep-ing for a
while to find all object and lib files which
could resolve all those unresolved symbols, I still got a problem with
_inflate_fast from zlib. I built zlib again
this time using masm and finally I could link svn.exe (didn't try to
build any other executable).
In the debugger I had to learn that the command parameters I specified
were not passed to the program, so I replaced
argc/argv with self-defined variables containing the right stuff.

[...]
> Firstly, could you please file an issue in our tracker, so we don't
> forget it?

I did not know the correct initial assignee, so I just assigned it to
you  - #3666

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Patrick Kursawe wrote on Mon, 28 Jun 2010 at 12:18 -0000:
> Patrick Kursawe wrote on Thu, 24 Jun 2010 at 16:03 -0000:
>
> > [...]
> > In file
> > 'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.6.8\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_client\blame.c'
> > line 487: assertion failed (frb->last_filename == NULL)
> >

> Am 6/25/2010 11:16 AM, schrieb Daniel Shahaf:
> > It would probably help if you tell us how to reproduce the issue.  That
> > is, tell us what command to run on some public repository to get the
> > assertion, or give us a script (starting with 'svnadmin create') that ends
> > with invoking the assertion.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this was reported before.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Daniel
> >
> After fighting for quite some time to get subversion compiled on
> windows using VC 08 Express Edition I finally managed to reproduce the
> issue in the debugger.

Wow.

NICE.

You're the first person I know of to be able to build Subversion on
Windows without fighting with it for days/weeks before... (and you even
have a working debug environment)

How did you do that?

> I have created a test repository, you can get it from
> http://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B2ZJ-TDG8hqkZGMyMTc4ZjMtYjk5OS00ZDAwLTliYmQtNjZiNDM1YTAxZmZj&sort=name&layout=list&num=50
>
> Just checkout "trunk" and run
> svn annotate -g -r6:7 a.txt

I can reproduce the issue using your repository and trunk svn.exe:

[[[
..\..\..\subversion\libsvn_fs_fs\tree.c:971: (apr_err=235000)
svn: In file '..\..\..\subversion\libsvn_client\blame.c' line 494:
assertion failed (frb->last_filename == NULL)
]]]

Firstly, could you please file an issue in our tracker, so we don't
forget it?

Secondly, could you share a script that produces your example
repository?  (it's easier for us to consume that way)

> It looks like annotate tries to fetch one more revision before the
> first revision specified.  The mentioned assertion fails if it gets
> more than one - which is the case if you specify that you want merge
> info and the last operation before was merging in a few changes.

To be honest, I haven't looked at it under a debugger.  Could you please
summarize your findings in the issue?

If you'd like to write a patch for this, you're more than welcome to
do so.  Our patch guidelines are here:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/general.html#patches

Thanks a lot!

Daniel

Posted by Patrick Kursawe <Pa...@web.de>.
Patrick Kursawe wrote on Thu, 24 Jun 2010 at 16:03 -0000:

> [...]
> In file
> 'D:\Development\SVN\Releases\TortoiseSVN-1.6.8\ext\subversion\subversion\libsvn_client\blame.c'
> line 487: assertion failed (frb->last_filename == NULL)

Am 6/25/2010 11:16 AM, schrieb Daniel Shahaf:
> It would probably help if you tell us how to reproduce the issue.  That
> is, tell us what command to run on some public repository to get the
> assertion, or give us a script (starting with 'svnadmin create') that ends
> with invoking the assertion.
>
> I'm not sure if this was reported before.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel

After fighting for quite some time to get subversion compiled on windows
using VC 08 Express Edition I finally managed
to reproduce the issue in the debugger. It looks like annotate tries to

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.