Posted to user@poi.apache.org by colossus <gl...@uh.edu> on 2012/02/07 16:49:23 UTC

Stream xssf cell by cell?

Hello,

I have a huge amount of data which I would like to stream row by row. I
thought calling workbook.write(stream) after changing the value of each row
would append each write onto the output stream, but I was wrong. As it is,
the file size suggests/matches the amount of rows I have, but there is only
1 row inside the file itself (which is the first row written).

Is there a way to accomplish this? Much like I would be able to using a text
file?

I've taken a look at the BigGrid implementation, and it looks a bit overkill
for what I'm trying to do.

Thanks!

Re: Stream xssf cell by cell?

Posted by Jim Talbut <jt...@spudsoft.co.uk>.
On 07/02/2012 15:49, colossus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a huge amount of data which I would like to stream row by row. I
> thought calling workbook.write(stream) after changing the value of each row
> would append each write onto the output stream, but I was wrong. As it is,
> the file size suggests/matches the amount of rows I have, but there is only
> 1 row inside the file itself (which is the first row written).
>
> Is there a way to accomplish this? Much like I would be able to using a text
> file?
>
> I've taken a look at the BigGrid implementation, and it looks a bit overkill
> for what I'm trying to do.

Take a look at the SXSSF APIs, they are basically the BigGrid
implementation modified to be general purpose.
There are a couple of limitations with SXSSF, but give it a go.
See: http://poi.apache.org/spreadsheet/how-to.html#sxssf

Jim