Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by David Blevins <da...@visi.com> on 2010/12/03 18:50:35 UTC

Nice tools (was Re: svn commit: r1040677)

On Dec 1, 2010, at 12:25 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 7:31 PM,  <db...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Author: dblevins
>> Date: Tue Nov 30 18:31:49 2010
>> New Revision: 1040677

>> Log:
>> Fix compile issues with latest OWB trunk
>
> I updated the code yesterday (after a longer break) and it broke with
> the error. I've been wondering how it slipped through the net? Thanks
> for the fix.

Seems it was just that the OWB snapshot was updated and had some added/changed/removed methods.

> BTW, what's your dev environment IDE-wise? Do you use IDEA on Mac?
> Anything else that might be of help and is not a common knowledge?

Yep, IDEA and mac.

Love bash.  Frequently use it to automate common tasks.  Best resource for that, http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/.

Think I would die without 'sort' and 'uniq'.  Frequently use 'perl -i -pe' to scrub files.  Or plain 'perl -pe' instead of 'sed' -- perl is just better all around.  On the mac you can manipulate the clipboard with pbcopy/pbpaste -- love those.  The 'ack' command line tool is pretty good. Nothing like 'cut -c 2-' to scrape off the first character of 'svn status'.

Emacs is very convenient for exploring jar files -- try it, it's pretty cool.

On occasion I'll whip out a bit of bash/perl to generate some code.

  basic bash template https://gist.github.com/727267
  basic perl template https://gist.github.com/727271

Was relying pretty heavily on this script, but it broke recently.  Probably easy to fix, just haven't had the time:

  https://github.com/dblevins/gistpaste

Those are some of my random tidbits.

-David