Posted to users@jackrabbit.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2014/06/26 16:23:45 UTC

Jackrabbit Oak Description

 From http://jackrabbit.apache.org/welcome-to-apache-jackrabbit.html is
is not clear about what Jackrabbit Oak is or where you can find more
information.

I was able to find the following in the Oak release notes

Jackrabbit Oak is a scalable, high-performance hierarchical content
repository designed for use as the foundation of modern world-class
web sites and other demanding content applications.

This description appears in the Jackrabbit release notes

This is Apache Jackrabbit(TM) 2.6, a fully compliant implementation of the
Content Repository for Java(TM) Technology API, version 2.0 (JCR 2.0) as
specified in the Java Specification Request 283 (JSR 283).

There does not seem to be very much information about what the
difference is or why one should pick one product rather than the other.
We are using Jackrabbit and it works really well but the description of
Oak for "modern world-class web sites and other demanding content
applications " sounds pretty attractive.

Does Oak not follow any standard?
Is it true that Jackrabbit is not useful for " modern world-class web
sites and other demanding content applications ", as that was left out
of its description?

Are there missing menu items or links in the web site?

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President

Re: Jackrabbit Oak Description

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

On 27.6.14 12:01 , Michael Dürig wrote:

> On 27.6.14 9:24 , Davide Giannella wrote:
>> On 26/06/2014 17:39, Ron Wheeler wrote:
>>>
>>> There should be a link from the menu at http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
>>> as well as a paragraph on the front page that links to the pages you
>>> listed.
>> Tracked with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCRSITE-45
>
> On a related note, Oak 1.0 is missing from the news stream and the
> downloads page.

Hmm it was there but was superseded by the information about Oak 1.0
[1]. Not sure whether this is by intention or by accident. Jukka?

Michael

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1605674

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.
On 26/06/2014 17:39, Ron Wheeler wrote:

> There should be a link from the menu at http://jackrabbit.apache.org/
> as well as a paragraph on the front page that links to the pages you
> listed.
Tracked with https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCRSITE-45

Thank you
Davide

Re: Jackrabbit Oak Description

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Thanks.

It looks like it will solve some minor problems that we had to address
in Jackrabbit but probably not enough to make us move right now since we
have fixed them already

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.
Hello Ron,