Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Christian Eichert <mo...@mx.homelinux.org> on 2005/12/03 20:35:23 UTC

OKAY I'am the black man !!!

:) ... shoot me! [this was 1 (one) line]    greetings Chris :))

Re: OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by Michael Monnerie <m....@zmi.at>.
On Montag, 5. Dezember 2005 06:57 Duncan Findlay wrote:
> This racism has no place on the SpamAssassin mailing lists.

I don't believe it was racism, he's german and the "böse schwarze
Mann" (bad black man) is from a children story. It doesn't refer to the
colour of the skin, but that bad man had a black coat.

At least, I hope so. :-/

mfg zmi
--
// Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc  ---   it-management Michael Monnerie
// http://zmi.at           Tel: 0660/4156531          Linux 2.6.11

Re: OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by "saurabh.bhasin" <sa...@bhasin.in>.
Alan Gutierrez wrote:
> * Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org> [2005-12-06 02:27]:
>
>>On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 01:20:28PM +0100, Christian Eichert wrote:
>>
>>>Duncan Findlay wrote:
>

>>I guess the moral of the story is don't use national cultural
>>references on international mailing lists. ;-)
>

> What a dreadfully boring community we would become.
>
> --
> Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com - http://engrm.com/blogometer/

I don't mean to assume the moderator's role here but would appreciate
taking this topic off line or ending it as it no longer has any
relevance to the purpose of this list.

Thanks.

Re: OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by Alan Gutierrez <al...@engrm.com>.

Re: OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.
On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 01:20:28PM +0100, Christian Eichert wrote:
> Duncan Findlay wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 08:35:23PM +0100, Christian Eichert wrote:
> >
> >>:) ... shoot me! [this was 1 (one) line]    greetings Chris :))
> >

> > This racism has no place on the SpamAssassin mailing lists.
>
> poor you - all you see is hate an racism.
> are you american?

As I am unaware of the story to which you were referring, I don't
think that it was that much of a stretch to assume this remark was
racist. To be perfectly honest, I was quite surprised by the remark,
and I figured I must have been misinterpreting it, and I'm glad that
this turned out to be the case. Sorry for the noise.

I guess the moral of the story is don't use national cultural
references on international mailing lists. ;-)

And no, I'm not American.

--
Duncan Findlay

Re: (TOT) OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by Gene Heskett <ge...@verizon.net>.
On Monday 05 December 2005 11:01, Keith Ivey wrote:
>Shayne Lebrun wrote:
>> Ah, a bit of linguistic mixup.  You'd have been better served by
>> phrasing it 'man in black,' mein Herr; to evoke the vision of the
>> black-hatted cowboy, or the evil guy in black leather, and so on.
>
>Yes, but then people would have thought he was talking about Johnny
> Cash.

Only in America.  I think he did his best work in the last 5 years of
his life.  But I'm a fan for the last 40+ years, so take that with
sufficient salt.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: (TOT) OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by Keith Ivey <kc...@cpcug.org>.
Shayne Lebrun wrote:

> Ah, a bit of linguistic mixup.  You'd have been better served by phrasing it
> 'man in black,' mein Herr; to evoke the vision of the black-hatted cowboy,
> or the evil guy in black leather, and so on.

Yes, but then people would have thought he was talking about Johnny Cash.

--
Keith C. Ivey <kc...@cpcug.org>
Washington, DC

(TOT) OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by Shayne Lebrun <sl...@muskoka.com>.
> poor you - all you see is hate an racism.
> are you american?
>
> the "black man" regarding to the second advent is allso called :
> black man = Krampuss, Klaubau, Bubutz, Perchten, Pelznickel, Hans
> Muff, Hans
> Trab, Perchten, Buutz, Schwoaftuifl ...

Ah, a bit of linguistic mixup.  You'd have been better served by phrasing it
'man in black,' mein Herr; to evoke the vision of the black-hatted cowboy,
or the evil guy in black leather, and so on.

I've had similar problems in the other direction; a German friend of mine
used to break out into howling gales of laughter when I would try to get
some point across in German, but phrasing it in an English way, or not
realizing that a certain turn of phrase has a different cultural
connotation, auf Deutsch.

Just to help foster a little understanding with my cousins south of the
border, and our cousins across the the oceans.

Re: OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by Christian Eichert <mo...@mx.homelinux.org>.
Duncan Findlay wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 08:35:23PM +0100, Christian Eichert wrote:
>
>>:) ... shoot me! [this was 1 (one) line]    greetings Chris :))
>

> This racism has no place on the SpamAssassin mailing lists.

poor you - all you see is hate an racism.
are you american?

the "black man" regarding to the second advent is allso called :
black man = Krampuss, Klaubau, Bubutz, Perchten, Pelznickel, Hans Muff, Hans
Trab, Perchten, Buutz, Schwoaftuifl ...

it is the opposit to the krisskind, hwo visits good children,
he wisits the bad children on the scond advent, and hits them ...

:-(

--
                                                         \|/
                                                        (o o)

Re: OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.

Re: OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by alan premselaar <al...@12inch.com>.

Re: OKAY I'am the black man !!!

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@comcast.net>.
At 02:35 PM 12/3/2005, you wrote:

>:) ... shoot me! [this was 1 (one) line]    greetings Chris :))

I can't speak for others on the list, but it's not my intention to shoot,
attack, or insult you.

I've asked some pointed questions, and made some pointed suggestions about
problems in your script, but I'm not doing so to insult you.

I asked how it differed from RDJ because I seriously wanted to know.

I pointed out you should remove antidrug.cf because everyone should unless
they're using really old versions of SA. Regardless, antidrug.cf by that
name will never be upgraded again, except to replace it with a warning
message pointing out the new filenames. Hence, it's pointless to have an
auto-update script checking it now, even for users of SA 2.64. That's not
an attack, but an honest suggestion to fix an error in your script and
improve it.