Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Howie <ca...@toodarkpark.org> on 2003/08/24 18:30:49 UTC

[collections] new stuff?

Hi.  I have a bunch of classes that may fit nicely into
commons-collections.  Specifically:

* 10 Predicate Objects:  AndPredicate, BetweenPredicate,
ContainsPredicate, EqualToPredicate, GreaterThanPredicate, InPredicate,
LessThanPredicate, NotPredicate, NullPredicate, OrPredicate.  These all
function similar to NeXT's EOQualifier classes, if you're familiar with
those.

* some Predicate utilities to filter a List and return a new,
non-backed List, to the user.  Could probably just add these to
ListUtils and the like.

* a Property Comparator object that uses PropertyUtils to get a
property, then compare it to some 'static' value.  Most of the
Predicate classes mentioned above make use of this, as it's really,
really neat.

How can I go about submitting these to commons-collections for
consideration?  I've been using these classes at the office for a
little more than a year now, and I'm thinking others would find them
interesting, too.

Thanks.

Re: [collections] new stuff - Predicates

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
Firstly, take a look at the latest CVS. You will find a PredicateUtils that
may have various of your ideas in it. Also take a look at CollectionUtils as
that already has some filtering code.

It sounds like you still might have some code for us to look at after this.
If so, then I would suggest creating a Bugzilla entry with atachments.

One final word. It may be better to separate the PropertyUtils part from the
rest if possible, as [collections] is, not surprisingly, collections
focussed. As a result the properties part may be rejected as out of scope.

looking forward to seeing some code.

Stephen