Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com> on 2017/04/14 16:36:02 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Apache Community Tools hack day at ApacheCon NA

Hi all!

I'm planning my trip to Miami, and had an idea for ApacheCon NA 2017 that I'd like to propose. Apologies for how late in the game this idea arriving...but ideas arrive in their own time, I suppose. :)

I'm planning to arrive Sunday night and had planned to attend the BarCamp on Monday. However, what I'd love to do even more than that, is sit down with other Apache folks and get started contributing to all the "meta" projects that we depend on daily. I gave a talk on getting started with them at a past ApacheCon: https://apachecon2016.sched.com/event/6OIK

My hope would be to help get folks (and myself!) started on projects like PonyMail, the community.apache.org site, projects.apache.org, the phonebook, etc. There's a list in my slide deck:

https://schd.ws/hosted_files/apachecon2016/09/Upgrading%20Our%20Apache.pdf

Other ideas I've kicked around with folks in the past include:

 - a JavaScript "feather widget" that's easily added to any site and include a slide-out navigation "palette" to the main site and/or related project content

 - stub/starter project sites

 - forms for generating incubator report/status XML (or automating that a bit more

Mostly, a day of "scrubbing" the stuff we use and getting the code setup on hard drives of willing accomplices would be a successful outcome for the day. ^_^

If this sounds interesting to others, I'd love to help get it on the schedule and make it happen.

Thanks, all!

Benjamin

--

http://bigbluehat.com/

http://linkedin.com/in/benjaminyoung

Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache Community Tools hack day at ApacheCon NA

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Absolutely, do it. We have the space for it in the main hackathon area, so
it'll be right there in front of everybody and they can't miss it. I can
get a page on the main website, but feel free to go ahead and put something
on the wiki.

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
Awesomeness! (sorry for the top-post...I'm stuck in Outlook land on this machine...)

Rich, what do you need from me information-wise? I can curate my short list of project ideas and get input/ideas on them via Twitter--by way of promotion--and then pitch them in a Wiki page some place. Also...which wiki should I use?

This one? https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COMDEV/ComDev+Wiki

(I'll need access if so.)

Shane, great thoughts on my list. I'm happy to collaborate some place on this to make it happen--the wiki, the Apache Way "event" google doc, whatever works best. Just let me know.

Lastly, what's the best way to go about promoting this? Rich, I'm guessing if/when we get a page on the main event site, we can route people there. Is it too late to get it added the sched.org stuff? Might help attendees find it at least--but as you mentioned the hack-space is prominent at the venue, but I'd love to encourage more people to show up for Monday too! ^_^

Thanks, all!

Benjamin

--

________________________________
Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
Concerning Monday. Do you think doing it twice or in two parts make sense? Most of Thursday falls outside of my primary tech stack / interests / needs, so I'd be happy to at least help host a spot on Thursday also--not sure what the space situation is that day.

I'm booking my travel this week, so trying to sort out how long to be there. :)

Thanks for any and all input!

Cheers,

Benjamin

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Benjamin Young wrote on 4/14/17 12:36 PM:
...snip...
> I'm planning to arrive Sunday night and had planned to attend the
> BarCamp on Monday. However, what I'd love to do even more than that,
> is sit down with other Apache folks and get started contributing to
> all the "meta" projects that we depend on daily. I gave a talk on
> getting started with them at a past ApacheCon:
> https://apachecon2016.sched.com/event/6OIK
>

> My hope would be to help get folks (and myself!) started on projects
> like PonyMail, the community.apache.org site, projects.apache.org,
> the phonebook, etc. There's a list in my slide deck:
>
> https://schd.ws/hosted_files/apachecon2016/09/Upgrading%20Our%20Apache.pdf

A first step is to start working on the community.a.o website itself, to
make it obvious there how newcomers can find useful things:

  https://community.apache.org/about/
  https://community.apache.org/newbiefaq.html#websitecms

> Other ideas I've kicked around with folks in the past include:
>
> - a JavaScript "feather widget" that's easily added to any site and
> include a slide-out navigation "palette" to the main site and/or
> related project content

I love that idea, but it has to be super-simple to integrate into
existing websites, esp. ones built by Maven or Forrest.  Also,
experience shows we often have to submit patches and help do integrations.

> - stub/starter project sites

This might want to wait, since the Infra team is in the process of
building a new pelican-based gh-pages like website hosting system that
will eventually replace the CMS (in... a few++ months?).  You'll be able
to tell it to run Maven or Forrest or your own scripts, if you don't
want to use the simplistic GFM-like core it provides.

> - forms for generating incubator report/status XML (or automating
> that a bit more

Yes - be sure to check with IPMC folks, since there are a few people
there who have talked about this.  Also for processes that need to
view/manipulate any committer-private data, Apache Whimsy has tooling
for that built in.  Whimsy is a collection of independent tools for
viewing/processing ASF related data:

  https://whimsy.apache.org/

  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources