Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by ianmca86 <ia...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/02 21:37:57 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release BCEL 6.0 based on RC3

+1

no one has really answered ben's question yet. if  bcel 209
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BCEL-209>   is committed could we cut
a release? it seems like everyone is okay with the general approach taken
there

my company also is mandating all projects move to java 8 this month since
java 7 is discontinued next month. i'm quite nervous that patch has been
outstanding for a month already and we're blocking on it. nine years is too
long between releases and we don't need to drag this out more

regards
ian

Re: [VOTE] Release BCEL 6.0 based on RC3

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 02/03/2015 23:21, ianmca86 a écrit :
> i don't like the policy of changing the package name to make a tiny change
> to binary compatibility. it makes it impossible to release often

And users don't like having deep conflicting libraries in their
dependency tree :)

> but we're getting way off base. my question is the same as ben's which was
> never answered. can we check in the patch for 209 and then release a new
> version?

There are other important issues besides BCEL-209, the LVTT issues
should be fixed for example if we want to claim Java 5 support.

If your company needs a BCEL version compatible with Java 8 you can
compile the version from the 6.0-RC3 tag, it isn't perfect but still
better than the latest stable release.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [VOTE] Release BCEL 6.0 based on RC3

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
WRT Tangent: The thing with BC is that it's a Boolean property, not a
quantitative...

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Posted by ianmca86 <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 13 March 2015 at 17:40, Sarah Murray <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's absurd to have a library where no released version works on any
> supported version of Java. End of story

Well, there are 2 solutions to that.

1) BCEL is abandoned/retired.
2) BCEL is updated to support recent versions of Java.

Posted by Sarah Murray <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sarah Murray <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for taking the time to review those patches Mark.

I guarantee you that Mark and Jerome do not know that their patches are
considered difficult to review in a timely manner. The last comment on all
of their patches is from them and they're waiting for a response. If the
issues are considered not clear enough and require more explanation, it
would be helpful to let them and the community know that instead of letting
the issues languish. They seem very willing to do some work to get their
patches in. Let them know what an ideal to review patch looks like and how
there's still a lot of burden on the reviewer in the ones they've submitted.

Mark, Jerome, perhaps you could review each others patches? If you agree to
review each others patches, it could help your patches get in much more
quickly. I know it's not fair I ask you to do more work without doing it
myself, but I'm nowhere near familiar enough with the codebase to be of any
help. Perhaps I could offer my assistance in some other way? I can run
tests on various JVMs, write Java code that doesn't require such complex
knowedge of bytecode, or make a monetary donation to the Apache Foundation
if any of those things would help.

Doing what I can, I just took some time to look at 183
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BCEL-183>. I guess you're right that
the patch could be split between one patch for field name and one patch for
method name if that seems helpful. Would you want me to open new issues
with the patch split in two for that? Should we check with Jerome and
Emmanuel before doing that? What is it that you're thinking we could do in
terms of a common test framework? I don't see a lot of code duplication or
anything.

--S.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sarah Murray <sa...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for the frustration I expressed. It was probably not the most
constructive way to voice my opinion.

A well described bug with a patch and a test case tends to get committed very
> quickly.

I'm not sure you've looked at the issue tracker lately. This really isn't
true as far as I can see, which is the cause of my exasperation. We're
blocking on a release until issues are resolved. But no one with commit
access is accepting changes, so we've just stalled out.

If you think some of the BCEL bugs are in this state and being over looked
> feel free to add a "What else is needed to get this committed?" question
> on the bug.

I'm happy to do this, but I think it'd be more annoying than helpful. Most
BCEL bugs I've seen are in this state. Putting the same comment on every
bug doesn't seem helpful. Of the four issues marked to 6.0, three of them
are stalled on having someone review and commit the patches:

   - 187 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BCEL-187> - has a test
   case. no committer review for 2 months
   - 188 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BCEL-188> - has a test
   case. no committer review for 2 months
   - 183 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BCEL-183> - has a test
   case. no committer review for 3 months

We don't have suppliers and customers at the ASF. We have a community. Everyone
> has a part to play.

The problem is that there's one area where help is really lacking and the
community can't contribute there because not everyone has the commit access
that's needed to get things flowing again. Perhaps we could add more
committers since it's currently a bottleneck? I've seen that work really
well when other projects either start to get overwhelmed or fizzle out.
E.g. Mark and Jerome both have submitted numerous high quality patches and
seem to be well-regarded members of the community. Can we give them commit
access? If we're nervous about maintaining high code quality we can add

Posted by Ian McAllister <ia...@gmail.com>.
Do you have ideas for when an alpha release will be pushed to Maven?

ian

Posted by Ben McCann <be...@benmccann.com>.
I'd much rather an imperfect version of BCEL be released than we continue
to wait for perfection and never release. I'm very concerned that we're
going to be waiting at least a year for the 6.0 release. Mark submitted
about a dozen issues around six weeks ago and probably only one or two have
been closed. At the current rate it will be a year before they're all
addressed. And who's to say that no new issues will be filed in the next
year pushing the release ever further out?

We could easily release 6.0 now, which we've been on the verge of doing.
There were 3 RCs for it and it's been 7 months since voting on the first
RC. In a year when all of Mark's issues are addressed we can release 7.0.
Changing package names again in another year doesn't seem so bad. It's an
easy sed script to update your code to a new package name. If we don't cut
a release then no released version of BCEL will work with any supported
version of Java.

-Ben

On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Ian McAllister <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:

> quick follow up on this... were you by chance able to create an alpha
> release yet? very much looking forward to having the code in maven!!
>
> ian
>
> On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 3:11 PM, ianmca86 <ia...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > yes, that would be perfect! (agreed it would have to go to maven)
> >
> > thanks so much for taking the suggestion into consideration!
> >
> > -ian
> >

> > On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 3:08 PM, Emmanuel Bourg-3 [via Apache Commons] <
> > ml-node+s680414n4673398h70@n4.nabble.com> wrote:

> on
> > >
> > > But we would have to upload it to Maven Central to make it really
> > > useful. If there is a consensus to do that I'm ok to cut a release
> soon.
> > >
> > > Emmanuel Bourg

> > > <http:///user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4673398&i=1>

> > > <

> > > .
> > > NAML
> > > <
> >
> http://apache-commons.680414.n4.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml
> > >

> > --

about.me/benmccann

Re: [VOTE] Release BCEL 6.0 based on RC3

Posted by Ian McAllister <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ianmca86 <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ben McCann <be...@benmccann.com>.
+1 to releasing an Alpha or making 6.0-RC3 available via Maven. Compiling
it ourselves is a really painful solution. It means we also need to setup
our own public Maven repository or make other drastic changes to our
release engineering.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ianmca86 <ia...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Mar 2, 2015 at 2:44 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 02/03/2015 22:33, Gary Gregory a écrit :
> > I'm all for RERO if the release manager is willing.
>
> I tend to agree with RERO, but if the API is not ready I don't think
> it's right to rush into a release, and the deeper I dig into BCEL the
> more I'm bothered by the issues I find.
>
> Once BCEL is back in shape it'll be easier to release often.

I, for one, am grateful you are keeping a close eye on this. Thank you!

Gary

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.