Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Humphrey Sheil <Hu...@Kadius.com> on 2000/07/20 11:41:25 UTC

interest lists @java.sun.com notified of 1.1 release [was RE: Pol icy question]

As per Stefan's request, I've forwarded the original announcement email on
to the lists I suggested below and I've included below what I sent out (the
example is to the EJB list).

Regards,

Humphrey

<email>

I'm forwarding this announcement email on to the EJB-INTEREST list because I
think you'll find it useful.  A lot of work has been done to date with ant
(a java-based build tool), particularly around custom tasks and there are
also a lot of bugfixes in the 1.1 release.

If you are already using ant, you are advised to upgrade to the new release.
If you aren't, you should definitely evaluate it for your build process, it
addresses a lot of problems other approaches don't (more information on the
ant homepage).

If you have any questions on ant, don't post them here, rather send them to
the mailing list for ant, or search here:  http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/

Regards,

Humphrey

<ANNOUNCEMENT>

From:  Stefan Bodewig [bodewig@apache.org]
To:  ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org;general@jakarta.apache.org

The first "official" release of Ant can be found at
<http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/ant/release/v1.1>. Both binary and
source archives are available.

This is the first stand-alone release of Ant, several older versions
have been included with Tomcat builds and been referred to as Ant
"1.0.8" by some people. Therefore the release number has been chosen
to be 1.1 instead of 1.0.

Ant 1.1 can probably not be built with an older version of Ant, please
use the bootstrap script to build it from the source release.

The binary release doesn't contain the optional tasks - compiled
versions of those are distributed in a separate file: optional.jar.

Build files written for older versions of Ant are expected to work
(with one exception - see below) but could generate deprecation
warnings. Future versions of Ant may remove these deprecated features.

Properties are now immutable, this means constructs like

<property name="longproperty" value="value1" />
<property name="longproperty" value="${longproperty}value2" />

won't work any longer. Properties defined on the command line and
Java's system properties can not be overridden by <property> tags
inside the buildfile.

Many thanks to all the people who have contributed to Ant.

</ANNOUNCEMENT>

</email>