Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Amit Soni <am...@netcore.co.in> on 2006/10/30 07:17:42 UTC

Lucene search priorities

Hi list.

I am using lucene search for one of my site search. In which i am
fetching values from the database and then index it.

The fields which the docuement contains is:
1. hwid
2. title
3. author
4. keywords
5. synonyms

Now i want the search result should be as per the following priorities
1. title
2. keywords
3. synonyms

But right now it is in some different priorities. So if some one has and
idean regarding this then please let me know.

Thanks,
Amit Soni

Re: Lucene search priorities

Posted by Frode Bjerkholt <fb...@mtouch.no>.
Hi

This is probably related to my question from October 5. - Here is the reponse
from Doron Cohen:

Frode Bjerkholt <fb...@mtouch.no> wrote on 05/10/2006 01:10:43:
> My intention is to give different terms in a field different boost
values.
> The queries from a use perspective, will be one fulltext input field.
> The following code illustrates this:
>
> Field f1 = new Field("name", "John", Field.Store.NO,
Field.Index.TOKENIZED);
> Field f2 = new Field("name", "Doe", Field.Store.NO,
Field.Index.TOKENIZED);

> f1.setBoost(1.0f);
> f2.setBoost(2.0f);
>
> doc.add(f1);
> doc.add(f2);
>
> In the current version of Lucene, as far as I now, this does not work -
> Allthough it would have been a very powerful feature.

To support this, additional info would need to be stored along with each
index token - i.e. along with each occurrence of each index term in each
indexed document. There are discussions on adding (in a future "flexible"
index structure) token "payloads". If/when this is added, and if this is
flexible and general as desired, such boost per token can be stored there
and then used at scoring. For more info on this search for "payloads" in
the dev mailing list.

Notice however that even so, without separating to distinct fields, when
searching for "Doe" - both its occurrences as "name" and as "last name"
would be collected, and there would be no way to look for only matches of
it as, say, "last name".

> The current solution is to make a firstname field and a lastname field,
and
> then make a complex query like this:
>
> Input: Eric Doe
>
> (firstname:Eric OR lastname:Eric^2) AND (firstname:Doe OR lastname:Doe^2)
>
> The performance of such a query is quite slow, and it becomes even worse
when
> you have more than two fields and/or more words in the input string.
>
> My questions:
>
> 1. Is there a better/faster solution to accomplish such a query?

I think one way (which I don't like but you may think otherwise) would be
to insert two tokens for a boosted one at indexing time, so that your
indexing code would look like:
  Field f1 = new Field("mixed", "John Doe", Store.NO, TOKENIZED);
  doc.add(f1);
  Field f2 = new Field("mixed", "Doe", Store.NO, TOKENIZED);
  doc.add(f2);
This would enlarge the index.
You might need to work the gap (between f1 and f2) to avoid false phrase
matches.
But your query should be simple and faster.

Tirsdag 31 oktober 2006 14:03, skrev Erick Erickson:
> I don't remember who wrote this, Chris or Yonik or Otis, but here's the
> word from somebody who actually knows...
>
> index time field boosts are away to express things like "this document
> title is worth twice as much as the title of most documents". query time
> boosts are a way to express "i care about matches on this clause of my
> query twice as much as I do about matches to other clauses of my query".
>
> so which boost you use depends on your goal.
>
> Erick
>
> On 10/31/06, Amit Soni <am...@netcore.co.in> wrote:
> > Hi Bhavin,
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your reply. But i am little confuse this time. Do i
> > have to give boost and index and search both or either index or search?
> > Also can you give some docs which has something on how to use boost on
> > particular fields.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Amit Soni
> >
> > Bhavin Pandya wrote:
> > > Hi amit,
> > > You can give boost to query at search time...
> > > and you can boost to perticular field at index time....
> > >
> > > - Bhavin pandya
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick Turcotte"
> > > <pa...@gmail.com> To: <ja...@lucene.apache.org>;
> > > <am...@netcore.co.in>
> > > Sent: Monday, October 30, 2006 7:38 PM
> > > Subject: Re: Lucene search priorities

> > sort

> > am

> > java-user-help@lucene.apache.org

Best Regards,

Frode

Re: Lucene search priorities

Posted by Doron Cohen <DO...@il.ibm.com>.
"Erick Erickson" <er...@gmail.com> wrote on 31/10/2006 05:03:18:
> I don't remember who wrote this, Chris or Yonik or Otis, but here's the
word
> from somebody who actually knows...
>
> index time field boosts are away to express things like "this document
title
> is worth twice as much as the title of most documents". query time boosts
> are a way to express "i care about matches on this clause of my query
twice
> as much as I do about matches to other clauses of my query".
>
> so which boost you use depends on your goal.
>
> Erick
>
> On 10/31/06, Amit Soni <am...@netcore.co.in> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Bhavin,
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your reply. But i am little confuse this time. Do i
> > have to give boost and index and search both or either index or search?
> > Also can you give some docs which has something on how to use boost on
> > particular fields.

Hi Amit,

In addition see "Score Boosting" section in
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/scoring.html

Doron

Re: Lucene search priorities

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Amit Soni <am...@netcore.co.in>.
Hi Bhavin,

Bhavin Pandya wrote:

> Hi amit,
> You can give boost to query at search time...
> and you can boost to perticular field at index time....
>
> - Bhavin pandya
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Patrick Turcotte" <pa...@gmail.com>

>>> 2. it appears in keywords

Posted by Bhavin Pandya <bh...@rediff.co.in>.