Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch> on 2011/09/13 12:11:10 UTC

[Axis2] Rampart and .NET WCF Interoperability / Aproach Questions

Hi developers,

We have a Axis2 and Addressing.mar on Tomcat on JDK 1.5 on OpenVMS -
And our Web Service runs in scope="soapsession", which makes long
lasting sessions.

We have a .NET .VB .C#  WCF 3.5 WS Client communicating through a
SOAP-XML over HTTP Protocoll
using the ServicegroupId Header to make long lasting sessions in
scope="soapsession" possible.

All works fine and performat !!! Thanks to Axis2 and WCF 3.5 .NET

Now we need to secure the following !!!

Username and Password is a part of a login-request-soap-body-element
This is no longer allowed to be transmitted un-encrypted in clear text
over the network.

We could switch to HTTPS/SSL and the game is over !!!!

But, we are interessted in using a more WS oriented approach and in
learning!

Hence in this situation INTEROPERABILITY is our major issue!
And a Tools Based Appraoch to reach that fast is another issue!
(even time is not a killer, but we want to learn how to make faster
progress with Web Services and in particular security)

We like to remain with Tomcat and Axis2 running on OpenVMS 8.4 and a JDK
1.5.0 or JDK 6.0.

What technology shall we use to encrypt the password in a SOAP-BOADY,
maybe we like to have sort of re-authentication after some time-out
later in a SOAP-HEADER.

We intend to use Rampart with the Axis2-Engine running our WS

BUT

What do we need on the Client Site to get first
the password encrypted (Message Level Security) and
later other sensible SOAP-HEADER/BODY-ELEMENTS

How do this things fit together? .NET and WS-* (Security)

Is there a good article somewhere how to achive that?

How could WSIT from SUN (the Metro WS Stack) help us?

Does Apache Axis2-Team run or participate on the PLUG-FEST from
Microsoft and SUN
where participants demonstrate theire interoperability capabilities
against defined web-service servers/szenarios?

What whould be your approach / response to this Security Based
Interoperabiliy Issues?

And how can we best make use of NetBeans (anything that supports us)

Thank'sfull for a Hint
Josef

Re: [Axis2] Rampart and .NET WCF Interoperability / Aproach Questions

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Stadelmann Josef <
josef.stadelmann@axa-winterthur.ch> wrote:

> **
>
> Hi developers,
>
> We have a Axis2 and Addressing.mar on Tomcat on JDK 1.5 on OpenVMS –
>
> And our Web Service runs in scope="soapsession", which makes long lasting
> sessions.
>
> We have a .NET .VB .C#  WCF 3.5 WS Client communicating through a SOAP-XML
> over HTTP Protocoll
>
> using the ServicegroupId Header to make long lasting sessions inscope="soapsession"possible.
>
> All works fine and performat !!! Thanks to Axis2 and WCF 3.5 .NET
>
> Now we need to secure the following !!!
>
> Username and Password is a part of a login-request-soap-body-element
>
> This is no longer allowed to be transmitted un-encrypted in clear text
> over the network.
>
> We could switch to HTTPS/SSL and the game is over !!!!
>
> But, we are interessted in using a more WS oriented approach and in
> learning!

I am not sure why you have to send the user name and password in soap body.
But with WS-Security you can use the User name Token to authenticate the
users and send the message with http/ssl.

thanks,
Amila.

--
Amila Suriarachchi
WSO2 Inc.

AW: [Axis2] Rampart and .NET WCF Interoperability / Aproach Questions

Posted by Stadelmann Josef <jo...@axa-winterthur.ch>.
Hi Amila

Thanks for the reply;

We will go for message level encryption;

The password is until today sent via a login-request() sent in the message-body;
this because we need the password in clear-text at the java-web-services login()
to be used inside login() when we call a WSIT (HP) java-bean for the
VMSLOGIN(string username, string password) to establish an IPC
(inter process channel) to our legacy server;

If the password can be sent encrypted in a header AND if that password can be
retrieved as clear text inside the called login() web service method from the
soap-header that would be fine too.

Josef

Posted by Amila Jayasekara <am...@wso2.com>.
Hello Josef,