Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> on 2011/12/25 20:42:00 UTC

Holiday Greetings...

This has been quite a year for the extended community and communities of
individuals formed since the decision to open source the original
StarOffice application suite some 12 years ago. Then again the same
could be said for the entire dozen years - and here is my meager attempt
to capture that in 2 minutes...

soHappyHoliday2011.mp4

Merry Christmas

~~ Drew Jensen

Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.
May I offer Agnostica, from the webcomic Nukees?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostica#Agnostica

http://www.nukees.com

I personally like the festive Moebius chains.

Don

Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Discussions of the appropriate verbiage for goodwill greetings near the
turn of the new year (at least under the Gregorian or Western calendar)
is offtopic for this list and should be taken elsewhere.

Hope everyone had a Joyous Winter Solstice earlier this week!

- Shane

[OT] Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by Peter Junge <pe...@gmx.org>.
On 12/26/2011 8:42 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Dec 25, 2011, at 4:24 PM, John Boyle wrote:
>
>> On 12/25/2011 11:42 AM, drew wrote:
>>> This has been quite a year for the extended community and communities of
>>> individuals formed since the decision to open source the original
>>> StarOffice application suite some 12 years ago. Then again the same
>>> could be said for the entire dozen years - and here is my meager attempt
>>> to capture that in 2 minutes...
>>>

>>> soHappyHoliday2011.mp4
>>>
>>> Merry Christmas
>>>
>>> ~~ Drew Jensen
>>>

>> To Dev: What is with this "HAPPY HOLIDAY" business? Christ IS a PROVEN HISTORICAL PERSON, BY ATHEISTIC AND AGNOSTIC SCIENTISTS, Jewish Historians and even Muslim historians, so you cannot argue he did not! SO WHY CAN'T THIS SEASON BE CALLED BY ITS HISTORIC NAME, *MERRY CHRISTMAS and NOTHING LESS!!! I thought this list was about OOo and NOT something Politically sickening!!!!!>:o *
>
> Can we just appreciate the good will of the season, please?!

<strong>+1</strong>

> Could it be that not all of us are Christians? I'm not.

Well, we had another Christian on the old OOo lists who complained that
Christmas had solely pagan roots, but nothing to do with worshiping
Jesus, hence he felt badly offended. For some this season seems to be
about dogma rather than peace.

Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Dec 25, 2011, at 4:24 PM, John Boyle wrote:

> On 12/25/2011 11:42 AM, drew wrote:
>> This has been quite a year for the extended community and communities of
>> individuals formed since the decision to open source the original
>> StarOffice application suite some 12 years ago. Then again the same
>> could be said for the entire dozen years - and here is my meager attempt
>> to capture that in 2 minutes...
>>

>> soHappyHoliday2011.mp4
>>
>> Merry Christmas
>>
>> ~~ Drew Jensen
>>

> To Dev: What is with this "HAPPY HOLIDAY" business? Christ IS a PROVEN HISTORICAL PERSON, BY ATHEISTIC AND AGNOSTIC SCIENTISTS, Jewish Historians and even Muslim historians, so you cannot argue he did not! SO WHY CAN'T THIS SEASON BE CALLED BY ITS HISTORIC NAME, *MERRY CHRISTMAS and NOTHING LESS!!! I thought this list was about OOo and NOT something Politically sickening!!!!!>:o *

Can we just appreciate the good will of the season, please?!

Could it be that not all of us are Christians? I'm not.

Let's all celebrate another go round of the sun. A solar return!

Best Regards however you best choose!
Dave

Re: [OT] Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.
There are in fact several holidays being celebrated at this time of
year, of which Christmas is only one.

Therefore, "Happy Holidays" is an inclusive greeting for the season.

--Jean

[OT] Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by Pedro Giffuni <pf...@apache.org>.
FWIW ...

--- Dom 25/12/11, John Boyle <jb...@harbornet.com> ha scritto:
> To Dev: What is with this "HAPPY HOLIDAY" business? Christ
> IS a PROVEN HISTORICAL PERSON, BY ATHEISTIC AND AGNOSTIC
> SCIENTISTS, Jewish Historians and even Muslim historians,
> so you cannot argue he did not!
> SO WHY CAN'T THIS SEASON BE CALLED BY ITS HISTORIC NAME,
> *MERRY CHRISTMAS and NOTHING LESS!!! I thought this list
> was about OOo and NOT something Politically
> sickening!!!!!>:o *

Atheists are not really offended by "Merry Christmas":
they cant be offended by someone they don't believe in,
right?.
I think the "Happy Holidays" thing became important after
Sept. 11, when americans discovered the rest of the world
is not necessarily Christian, and somehow they think that
being more ambivalent in such things will save them from
being so unpopular in the rest of the world.

I am a practicing Catholic, and after some events in my
personal life I became am an absolute believer, so while
I recognize that Christmas nowadays has become something
more related to spending money in presents that the
religious festivity, for me a sincere "Merry Christmas"
means a whole lot more than a "Happy Holidays". The choice
of words does make a difference and at least I prefer if
people say "Merry Christmas" but only if they are sincere
about it.

When I refer to a group of relatively unknown people
(like in a mailinglist) I will probably use the
"Happy Holidays" thing, and I will leave the Merry
Christmas for people I know well and care about.

So .. as I saw in "Saturday Night Live" a while ago,
May you all have "Happy Holidays .... from Jesus" :).

Pedro.

Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by John Boyle <jb...@harbornet.com>.

Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by Andrew Pitonyak <an...@pitonyak.org>.
On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 15:00:22 -0500, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 14:42 -0500, drew wrote:
>> This has been quite a year for the extended community and communities
of
>> individuals formed since the decision to open source the original
>> StarOffice application suite some 12 years ago. Then again the same
>> could be said for the entire dozen years - and here is my meager
attempt
>> to capture that in 2 minutes...
>>

>> soHappyHoliday2011.mp4
> http://youtu.be/J84WQtbcZ1s?hd=1
>

> Merry Christmas !!!

As usual, very nice Drew.... Happy Christmas to you...

Andrew Pitonyak

Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org>.
Hi Drew,

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 12:44 AM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> then again you could grab a copy, type and all, at
> http://lo-portal.us/video/soHappyHoliday2011.mp4

Thanks a lot - the buttefly sure brings back memories (my first
version was StarOffice 4.0 that came bundled with my first PC :-))

ciao
Christian

Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 23:38 +0100, Christian Lohmaier wrote:
> HI Drew,
>
> On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 9:00 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 14:42 -0500, drew wrote:
> >>
> >> soHappyHoliday2011.mp4
> > http://youtu.be/J84WQtbcZ1s?hd=1
>
> "Unfortunately, this video is not available in Germany because it may
> contain music for which GEMA has not granted the respective music
> rights.
> Sorry about that."
>
> Too bad...

Drat - Youtube sent an email saying it would be available world wide
with a link in the youtube page to the amazon purchase page for the
soundtrack, from a upload proof before setting it public - seemed a very
civilized way to handle fair use, to me....arrrgh, oh well.

There is more then one way to skin a cat - besides there is a type on
the final screen - I suppose you can't, always, fight city hall -
soundtrack 2 perhaps, and I see a typo in the credits..I'm too old for
those all night'rs anymore.

then again you could grab a copy, type and all, at
http://lo-portal.us/video/soHappyHoliday2011.mp4

till then.

//drew

Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by Christian Lohmaier <cl...@openoffice.org>.
HI Drew,

Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 12:00 PM, drew <dr...@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 14:42 -0500, drew wrote:
> > This has been quite a year for the extended community and communities of
> > individuals formed since the decision to open source the original
> > StarOffice application suite some 12 years ago. Then again the same
> > could be said for the entire dozen years - and here is my meager attempt
> > to capture that in 2 minutes...
> >

> > soHappyHoliday2011.mp4
> http://youtu.be/J84WQtbcZ1s?hd=1
>

> Merry Christmas !!!
> >
> > ~~ Drew Jensen

I didn't see this until today---WOW! Nice to know we have such a talented
individual in our community! And thank you SO much for this encompassing
perspective! LOVED it! :)

MzK

 by the way its animals are treated."
                              -- Mohandas Gandhi

Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2011/12/25 drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>

> On Sun, 2011-12-25 at 14:42 -0500, drew wrote:
> > This has been quite a year for the extended community and communities of
> > individuals formed since the decision to open source the original
> > StarOffice application suite some 12 years ago. Then again the same
> > could be said for the entire dozen years - and here is my meager attempt
> > to capture that in 2 minutes...
> >

> > soHappyHoliday2011.mp4
> http://youtu.be/J84WQtbcZ1s?hd=1
>

> Merry Christmas !!!
> >
> > ~~ Drew Jensen

 Thanks, Drew! A really nice Christmas gift!!

Re: Holiday Greetings...

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.