Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Basil Hosmer <bh...@macromedia.com> on 2002/09/24 01:17:29 UTC

newbie question (access to response message as DOM)

Hi,

Somebody please give me a shove in the right direction: I'm using Axis to make a call to a web service that returns a fairly simple <complexType> (wsdl attached). I've successfully deserialized using a generated bean, but what I'd really like is to simply access a DOM representation of the response.

Naively I tried call.setOperationStyle("document") (also "message") - no luck - I get an Axis fault that appears to be generated while trying to create another axis fault (yipes).

Tried also registering a type mapping that used ElementDeserializer, thinking it would give me the entire subtree underneath the top "element". Nope - at least, not without some setup I wasn't doing... I imagine that I could leave operation style set to "rpc" (as specified by the binding in the WSDL) and hand-write a subclass of ElementDeserializer - or DeserializerImpl - that would give back a DOM, but I'm really hoping that isn't necessary.)

What basic thing am I missing? Or is this not a normal thing to be doing with Axis?

Any guidance appreciated.

Basil