Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Daniel Lang <da...@biologie.uni-freiburg.de> on 2004/01/14 10:31:23 UTC

Re: modperl GD problem

Hi,
Thanks for the answers...

Gerald Richter wrote:
> I guess there are a value that stay persitent,which makes trouble on the
> second request.
That´s what I´m thinking too, but I think I´ checked for globals
variables and so on in my code - all variables involved should be local
(subroutine) scope...but since I´m relatively new to modperl...
I don´t know if it makes sence to paste the hole code to the list, but I
would be glad if someone would have a look at it:)
If anyone´s interested, I could send the code directly...

I have another idea what might be going on but I don´t know how to
address it: The data for the images has to be parsed and can grow fairly
big...since the images are produced during this process - is it possible
that the httpd processes are memory restricted or something like that?

Another interesting;) thing happened when I changed the line for the
Bio::Graphics module in my startup.pl, from "use Bio::Graphics ();" to
  "use Bio::Graphics;" - the first images was colored and then in each
following request  the color faded! (green - light green - blue green -
black)

> Can you try to set MaxRequestsPerChild to 1 in your httpd.conf?
>
> Do you get the same result? If yes, you have to search what in your code
> might persist accross requests.
>

>>I´m using the following enviroment:
>>(1Ghz dual processor machine, 1GB RAM)(Apache/1.3.27
>>(Unix)(Red-Hat/Linux 7.3) Embperl/2.0b5 mod_perl/1.26) (All the
>>modules are preloaded in a startup script)
>>

> Mmmh, Embperl 2.0b5 is quite old (and buggy). Please upgrade at least to
> 2.0b9.
Uhmm, Ok! Could it interfere with my handlers?

> You could also try to updrade you libgd and/or the GD Perl module.
It should be quite new: libgd.so.2.0.0 && GD-2.11.

--
Daniel Lang
University of Freiburg, Plant Biotechnology

Re: modperl GD problem

Posted by Gerald Richter <ri...@ecos.de>.

> Another interesting;) thing happened when I changed the line for the
> Bio::Graphics module in my startup.pl, from "use Bio::Graphics ();" to
>   "use Bio::Graphics;" - the first images was colored and then in each
> following request  the color faded! (green - light green - blue green
> - black)

So try to put a

use Bio::Graphics;

at the top of your Embperl page that uses the module, because otherwise
symbols are not imported

Gerald