Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Juergen Hoffmann <jh...@byteaction.de> on 2001/06/15 12:58:19 UTC

Cannot load my own properties file

Hi all,

tried searching the archives but everything there did not help me with
my problem. So here it comes:

here is the extract from my web.xml:
<web-app>

  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>BORC</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>
            borc.Borc
    </servlet-class>
      <init-param>
         <param-name>properties</param-name>
         <param-value>/WEB-INF/conf/velocity.properties</param-value>
      </init-param>
  </servlet>

as you can see the file is there:
budwork:/usr/share/tomcat/webapps/BORC/WEB-INF/conf# ls
velocity.properties

even the lib is there:
budwork:/usr/share/tomcat/webapps/BORC/WEB-INF/lib# ls
velocity-1.1-rc2.jar

but the log shows:
budwork:/usr/share/tomcat/webapps/BORC/WEB-INF/lib# tail -n35
/var/log/tomcat/stdout.log
org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundException: Unable to find
resource 'org/apache/velocity/runtime/defaults/velocity.properties'

WHY?

any help is highly appreciated

kind regards

Juergen Hoffmann

Re: Cannot load my own properties file

Posted by Juergen Hoffmann <jh...@byteaction.de>.
Hi,

you asked for it...

Fri Jun 15 12:45:59 CEST 2001 AvalonLogSystem initialized using logfile
/var/log/tomcat/velocity.log
Fri Jun 15 12:45:59 CEST 2001   [info]   [info] Default Properties File:
org/apache/velocity/runtime/defaults/velocity.properties
Fri Jun 15 12:45:59 CEST 2001  [error] ResourceManager : unable to find
resource 'org/apache/velocity/runtime/defaults/velocity.properties' in
any resource loader.

So he seems to read my properties file and sets the log path:

this is my propsfile
runtime.log.logsystem.class =
org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.AvalonLogSystem
runtime.log = /var/log/tomcat/velocity.log
runtime.log.error.stacktrace = false
runtime.log.warn.stacktrace = false
runtime.log.info.stacktrace = false
runtime.log.invalid.reference = true
input.encoding=ISO-8859-1
output.encoding=ISO-8859-1
directive.foreach.counter.name = velocityCount
directive.foreach.counter.initial.value = 1
directive.include.output.errormsg.start = <!-- include error :
directive.include.output.errormsg.end   =  see error log -->
directive.parse.max.depth = 10
resource.loader = file

file.resource.loader.description = Velocity File Resource Loader
file.resource.loader.class =
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader
file.resource.loader.path = /usr/share/tomcat/webapps/BORC/BORC.img

file.resource.loader.cache = true
file.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval = 2

velocimacro.library = VM_global_library.vm

velocimacro.permissions.allow.inline = true
velocimacro.permissions.allow.inline.to.replace.global = false
velocimacro.permissions.allow.inline.local.scope = false

velocimacro.context.localscope = false
runtime.interpolate.string.literals = true

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
Yuck.

Juergen Hoffmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thanks for your quick reply.
>
> You asked for it, so here it comes:
>
> logs:
> Starting tomcat. Check logs/tomcat.log for error messages
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at
[SNIP]

Posted by Juergen Hoffmann <jh...@byteaction.de>.
Hi,

thanks for your quick reply.

You asked for it, so here it comes:

logs:
Starting tomcat. Check logs/tomcat.log for error messages
java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManager.assembleResourceLoaderInitializers(ResourceManager.java:229)
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManager.initialize(ResourceManager.java:160)
        at org.apache.velocity.runtime.Runtime.init(Runtime.java:236)
        at org.apache.velocity.runtime.Runtime.init(Runtime.java:411)
        at org.apache.velocity.app.Velocity.init(Velocity.java:155)
        at
org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.init(VelocityServlet.java:207)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doInit(ServletWrapper.java)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.init(Handler.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.init(ServletWrapper.java)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundException: Unable to find
resource 'org/apache/velocity/runtime/defaults/velocity.properties'
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.ResourceManager.getResource(ResourceManager.java:423)
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.Runtime.getTemplate(Runtime.java:686)
        at
org.apache.velocity.runtime.Runtime.getTemplate(Runtime.java:668)
        at borc.Dispatcher.process(Dispatcher.java:72)
        at borc.Borc.handleRequest(Borc.java:27)
        at
org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.doRequest(VelocityServlet.java:333)
        at
org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.doGet(VelocityServlet.java:294)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.doService(ServletWrapper.java)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.Handler.service(Handler.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.service(ServletWrapper.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.internalService(ContextManager.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:484)
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at borc.Dispatcher.process(Dispatcher.java:85)
[...]

and my class looks like this:
package borc;

import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;
import borc.Dispatcher;
import org.apache.velocity.servlet.*;
import org.apache.velocity.Template;
import org.apache.velocity.context.Context;
import org.apache.velocity.exception.*;

public class Borc extends VelocityServlet {

  protected Template handleRequest(HttpServletRequest request,
HttpServletResponse response, Context context) throws
java.lang.Exception {
    Dispatcher dispatcher = new Dispatcher(context);
    Template template = null;
    template = dispatcher.process();
    return template;
  }
}

again thanks a lot for your help.

Juergen Hoffmann

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Re: AW: Cannot load my own properties file

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
Juergen Hoffmann wrote:

> hi,
>
> no, not for me when i adjusted the path i got a:
>
> Error: 500
>
> Location: /BORC/borc
>
> Internal Servlet Error:
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Error configuring the loader:
> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> /var/lib/tomcat/webapps/BORC/BORC/WEB-INF/conf/velocity.properties
> (Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)

That last bit is pretty wild :)

The problem here is that you seem to have the hang of getRealPath(), but
you put the name of your webapp (BORC) in the path - leave it out - the
getRealPath() will return paths *relative* to BORC, so that will be
included.

Looks like it will be a documentation weekend :)

geir

System and Software Consulting

Re: AW: AW: Cannot load my own properties file

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
Reto Badertscher wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after setting my template load path to ../webapps/iFrameTest/templates the
> loader was able to find the template, that's only when starting tomcat in
> bin directory so all is relative to c:\jakarta-tomcat\bin ???

Yes, because you are using relative paths.

Try using

String goodpath = getServletContext().getRealPath('templates');

and use that as your template path, and all will be well...  you will
then be independant of how and where tomcat start...

> Concerning the properties file - i overloaded the loadConfiguration, read
> the properties-file and returning the  properties. The reason is, i read in
> some other configurations (messages, application-events).

It's perfectly legit to do that.  Just need to take some care - see how

examples/servlet_example2/SampleServlet2.java does it, using template
and log paths relative to webapp root...

geir

System and Software Consulting

AW: AW: Cannot load my own properties file

no, not for me when i adjusted the path i got a:

Error: 500

Location: /BORC/borc

Internal Servlet Error:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Error configuring the loader:
java.io.FileNotFoundException:
/var/lib/tomcat/webapps/BORC/BORC/WEB-INF/conf/velocity.properties
(Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden)
        at
org.apache.velocity.servlet.VelocityServlet.init(VelocityServlet.java:215)
[...]
and changed it back

kind regards

Juergen Hoffmann

Posted by Juergen Hoffmann <jh...@byteaction.de>.
hi,

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
Reto Badertscher wrote:

> Hi,
> I have the same problem with templates - i guess velocity takes as root
> where tomcat was started and not the
> application e.g. BORC. I don't now why, it's very inconvient.

No - velocity doesn't do *anything* that you don't tell it.

Velocity can't guess what you want... when we have that technology
available, I will let you know :)

If you hand velocity paths that aren't absolute, but relative, then when
it tries to open the file it will be relative to the current working
directory, which is where tomcat was started....

Please see the examples/servlet_example2/SampleServlet2.java to see what
I am talking about.

geir